• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Studio & File Conversions

Reaction score
Ok, thanks in advance for the help.

I have been using Visual Hub for years now it seems, breaking apart DVD VOB files into .AVI, .MP4, etc.. Unfortunately when I import those files into FC7 I have to spend hours rendering them which stinks.

So, I started looking for a (insert format here) to .mov converter so I can avoid rendering.

I immediately see on all the post QT Pro is the way to go, but two problems...
(1) It takes FOREVER compared to Visual Hub.. like 5-8x longer.
(2) The resulting .MOV file has been degraded to some level and often is pixilated like crazy where there are deep blacks even though I used the Max quality output. I played the .AVI and .MOV side by side and the conversion was bad.

Is there a decent program out there that exports .AVI or .MPEG4 into .MOV?

Even if I have to pay for it, as long as it is faster and better than QTPro it would be worth it.

Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
I am pretty much a noob with Final Cut 7. Is there some other way I should be bringing in my video footage from .VOB that is better? What about from my HD Camcorder that is ACHVD?

Is there any other video file besides .MOV that doesn't require me to render it. Or are my settings on .AVI, .MP4, etc.. the problem and I need to change something on the import?

OP
W
Reaction score
Final Cut Jeopardy

10 pts per questions.. and my eternal gratitude.

(1) I have converted multiple .avi files and .mpg4 files into .mov files using both FFMPEGX and QTPRo. Each time I import them into FC7, they work fine in the monitor to do the edits but when I drag the portion of the .mov clip into the timeline it needs to be rendered? I thought if you use a native .mov format the clip would not need rendering?

(2) How can I tell the specs of the video I am importing? And which one of the specs are important?

(3) How to I setup FC7 to match those specs? It has the automated feature so when I drop a piece of video into the timeline that does not match my setup, it asked if I want to change the setting to match. Even when I click yes, my .mov files still needs rendering.

(4) Are their any other formats that are easy to use in FC7 that don't need to be rendered that I am not aware of?

(5) Is something wrong with my .mov file in the way I am converting it? How do I know? I noticed their were two version of a .MOV file in FFMPEGX to choose from. Which one is correct? I assumed the MP4 version but that may have been a bad assumption.

Yes, i am a noob, but there is information overload on the net and trying to weed through hundreds of forums to get your specific answer in the video category seems overwhelming (and I have been researching for days).

Please help... this is so frustrating since I am working with HD material that takes forever to render...hopefully this sounds familiar to people trying to learn this who like me have no formal education behind it or industry experience. Just a guy at home with the family...

Reaction score
Hey, I coulnd say how to do that, but u definatly can find lots of info about rendering in youtube. Hope u will find it :)

Reaction score
change your project settings and timeline video settings. I am not sure, but maybe you wont need to render it :)

Hope it helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
(1) I have converted multiple .avi files and .mpg4 files into .mov files using both FFMPEGX and QTPRo. Each time I import them into FC7, they work fine in the monitor to do the edits but when I drag the portion of the .mov clip into the timeline it needs to be rendered? I thought if you use a native .mov format the clip would not need rendering?

A .mov is not a format, it is a container file. The codec (format) you have chosen isn't something FC can handle natively, so it renders it. And re-renders when you affect the clip in the time line.

(2) How can I tell the specs of the video I am importing? And which one of the specs are important?

Open it up in a tool that can tell you that. I like QuickTime Pro and use command-I and command-J to get information. If the file imports to FC, you can do a "Get Info" on the clip.

(3) How to I setup FC7 to match those specs? It has the automated feature so when I drop a piece of video into the timeline that does not match my setup, it asked if I want to change the setting to match. Even when I click yes, my .mov files still needs rendering.

(4) Are their any other formats that are easy to use in FC7 that don't need to be rendered that I am not aware of?

(5) Is something wrong with my .mov file in the way I am converting it? How do I know? I noticed their were two version of a .MOV file in FFMPEGX to choose from. Which one is correct? I assumed the MP4 version but that may have been a bad assumption.

Sounds like you need to use an appropriate video codec (format). IAC and ProRes don't need re-rendering every time you do something in the time line. For instance, you would convert your AVI file to an AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) with Linear PCM audio at 48Khz and the container extension would be .mov.

I mentioned the audio because that has the same rendering issues. FC have to render it if it is not what it likes to deal with natively.

Yes, i am a noob, but there is information overload on the net and trying to weed through hundreds of forums to get your specific answer in the video category seems overwhelming (and I have been researching for days).

Please help... this is so frustrating since I am working with HD material that takes forever to render...hopefully this sounds familiar to people trying to learn this who like me have no formal education behind it or industry experience. Just a guy at home with the family...

If the HD material is on a camera, then import directly to FC.

I suggest you find a book such as The Little Digital Video Book. Something simply to introduce you to video editing so you can understand the terms and concepts.

There have been many many many posts here about converting video. Do some searching in this forum and you may come up with the answers or a better way to ask your questions. Details matter so knowing the nomenclature will help in both your search and questions.

My iMovie Export guide might be helpful. Reviewing that might help you understand the direction you need to take.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I may pick up that book just to learn terminology.

However, I will admit getting my camera footage into FC is not a problem.

My problem is getting other formats (.VOB, .AVI, and .MPEG4) into .MOV with a AIC codec.

Everyone said to use FFMPEGX but I don't see an output for anything AIC on it (correct me if I am wrong but i looked at every video codec output).

After reading your post, I used MPEG Streamclip (which does have that option) and converted an .AVI to .MOV using the AIC and 48Khz.. worked 1st try! I got all excited.. finally an answer... then tried to convert an .MP4 720P file (which is 90% of my video library) and it failed immediately with the "Error: Can't prepare the movie" I spent hours looking all over the web and apparently lots of people have this problem on forums but I have yet to see an answer. That is one of the few post where it just dead ends.

The I try QTPro.. which has the capability to output to a .MOV file ... but when I export into that format.. all I get is a white screen with sound no video for that same .MP4 File.

The MP4 is AAC Stereo 48Khz, 1280x720, 29.97, 192.24 data rate, and plays perfectly in QT. Why won't it convert is beyond me?

Unfortunately the book won't give me those answers... which is where I need the most help.

I used Sony Vegas on a PC before, and it never had problems with the standard file types, but I am really struggling trying to get volumes of .MP4 and .AVI into an acceptable codec for FC.

I have spent hours combing the forums but never find the answers.... I often find things that are semi-related, but reading hundreds and hundreds of post is a buzzkill.

Anyway, I appreciate your time. I guess I will go back to combing forums looking for answers since it appears every topic has already been addressed at some point in the past.

Reaction score
ffmpegX definitely works

Hey yeah some of those weirdly wrapped .mp4s you get from YouTube and Vimeo, etc will not convert using MPEG Streamclip or QT. But I just used ffmpegX and it works magically to produce the same quality .mov as your original .mp4.

Then with that .mov file you can ProRes it via QT or MPEGSTREAMCLIP...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.