PDA

View Full Version : Saving DVR'd shows to mac?

foreverandalway
08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I know some laptops have the capability to take your DVR'd shows from your TV and save them to your laptop.

Is that even possible on a mac?

skybolt
08-10-2009, 10:05 AM
We have a TiVO and Toast Titanium and can do this easily. Not sure what specific DVRs this works with, but ours is a "real" TiVO, not from the cable or satellite company.

fletch33
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
most cable boxes dont allow you to get the data off as the TIVO boxes do. if you have a cable provided box you will most likely have to play it back from the DVR and use a piece of hardware to record the playback as it goes back to the TV.

you can also take a look at the different EyeTV Products (http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products.en.html) that allow you to run your TV through your Mac. i use the 250 Plus and am very happy with it.

maconvert
12-19-2009, 03:04 AM
bumping this....

how would you record the playback? what's the best video capturing software?

baggss
12-19-2009, 03:20 AM
bumping this....

how would you record the playback? what's the best video capturing software?

The few times I've been compelled to do this I simply record the DVR played video to a DVD Recorder, then go from there. You could maybe use a VCR, but the quality would suffer...

Slydude
12-19-2009, 12:06 PM
On some cable boxes there is an active firewire port which can be used to connect the box to a Macs firewire port. The output can then be captured. there are some problems that you may encounter:
1. Some providers have blocked this port via a firmware update (there may be an FCC rule in place that still prohibits them form doing this. I haven't checked recently).
2. Even with an active connection some programming will not transfer over properly with the result being either no picture/no sound. This seems to be a result of the copy protection flags on some content.

As far as software goes I have been using steventoth.net AVC Noodle (http://www.steventoth.net/blog/products/avc-noodle/) a bit and also a program called AVC Video Cap which is part of the Firewire SDK available from the Apple site for free. There used to be a program called iRecord available but I don't think it is in active development anymore. If anyone knows otherwise please post.