Firefox and Safari constantly freeze

Reaction score
I've had my 13" MBP for less than a month and for the past few days both web browsers have been locking up randomly. I get the little multicolored disk as a mouse and cant do anything. Usually after about 30 seconds to a minute it will go back to normal only to do it again a few minutes later.

I am thinking it might have something to do with flash players such as youtube or other sites with flash like myspace, etc...

I can't replicate the problem because some times it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Anyone else ever get this?

I'm tempted to reformat and start from scratch that is how frustrating this is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can be the sign of insufficient memory. You do not give machine and/or memory details so hard to tell.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I doubt that it is Flash unless a Flash based page is your homepage and Flash is actually the problem (which it could be). Aside from harryb2448's request for system specs, have you tried reinstalling the browsers? Also, aside from your machine specs, what versions of each browser are you using? If you don't know and can't get them open to check, simply right click each app, go to "Get Info" and look under General > Version.

For Firefox, let's create a new profile to see if this solves the problem. Follow the instructions here to launch the Profile Manager and create a new profile. Next time you launch Firefox, use the new profile to see if you notice any difference.

OP
A
Reaction score
It is a brand new 13" MBP with the 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, 160gb HD.

Firefox 3.5.2, pretty sure it is the latest one
Safari is 4.0.2, also the latest one.

Does the mac have some sort of program like the task manager in Windows to monitor CPU usage and what is using up most of the memory?

I restarted the laptop and it has been running decently now for a few hours. I would expect to be able to constantly run the laptop though with just basic web browsing and not have the memory fill up and start giving me problems.
I can leave my PC on for days and weeks at a time and not have issues with only 2gb of ram.

Does a mac have a pagefile or virtual memory like the PC? Would it help to increase that if this is the problem?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Activity Monitor.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, I found the Activity monitor and answered my own questions... I will keep an eye on this and see if the memory starts till get full when the web browsers start to lock up.

I dont think it has anything to do with the web browsers since the problem happens in both of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Add a Location for the place where u use the Laptop the most/at home, then have a look at other posts re setting the DNS numbers for that/your ISP in Sys Prefs/Network settings of both Airport and Ethernet selections. Then when u roam select location to Automatic

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.