Triboot system? (Mac, Windows & Linux)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" OS X 10.5.7 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I have a 150gb hard drive MacBook Pro that I want to have Windows XP or 7, Ubuntu, and a fourth partition for files, as well as my Mac OS.

From what I've seen, BootCamp doesn't have the power to do this.

Previously, I've used Wubi to install Ubuntu on Windows. I'd like to go for a full-fledged multi-partition set up now.

Will the Disk Utility that comes with the Mac be powerful enough for me to do this? Although I've used Wubi recently, I have worked with partitions before.

Does anyone have advice, or pitfalls to warn me of?

What I expect to do is make the partitions with the Disk Utility in the Mac OS, then use disks and their installers for Windows and Ubuntu. Would this work?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depending on what you do in each of those operating systems, you might be better off with virtualization. I suggest you take a look at either VMWare Fusion (a favourite around here), Parallels or the free (and my favourite) VirtualBox.

I can't imagine you are doing 3D in Linux (you can't do stable 3D work in a VM) so if that is the case, you could either virtualize Windows and Linux or use BC with OS X and Windows and virtualize Linux. What do you use Windows and Linux for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
It will work fine. In order to boot Linux you will need to install rEFIt. It is a boot loader which allows you to boot from multiple partitions.

You need to use Disk Utility to create two new partitions (in addition to your OS X partition) on your hard drive. Install Linux on the second partition, and Windows on the third. Windows must be on the last partition on the disk in order to work.

I triple boot my iMac with Leopard, Ubuntu and XP with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
There is quite a bit of information on how to do this on the mydellmini.com forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.