Keyboard Shutdown?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" OS X 10.5.7 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I'm new to Mac, intending to use both Mac and Windows.

On Windows, I'd shutdown by pushing the Windows Key then pushing U twice. Also, I could push Windows Key+R to open the run prompt, and run a batch file called shutdown that I'd put in the Path directory.

In fact, I open Firefox by Windows Key+R and typing firefox. Same goes with Pidgin, Thunderbird, Skype, iTunes, OpenOffice, VNC, GIMP, etc.

On my new mac, I can push Command+Space and open all my above-mentioned programs with the spotlight.

I'd like to know how to automate things for the Spotlight like this on a Mac. On Windows, I had to create shortcuts and put them in a directory that I added to the system-wide Path variable, so that I could launch them from the run prompt. I love that my Mac knows I want Firefox, Pidgin, Frostwire, etc. but I'd like to know how to add things like "shutdown" shutting my system down when I put it in the Spotlight.

(Also, I got a hibernate program to give me the Windows functionality of hibernation, and I use the Spotlight to hibernate now. It *is* an app though, so that's why I can use the Spotlight.)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Two things:

1) To shut down quickly, you can just press the power button and a dialog will come up. It's only a force shut down if you hold down the power button for a few seconds, not if you just press and release quickly. I attached a picture of the dialog that comes up.

2) If that's not what you are looking for, go to System Preferences, into the Keyboard & Mouse pane. In the keyboard shortcuts tab, click the little + sign under the list of shortcuts, and make it work for all applications. Go up to the  menu in the top left corner, and you should see a bunch of options. There is a "Shut Down..." option. In the little window that comes up in System Preferences when you try to add a new shortcut, type "Shut Down..." into the box labeled "Menu Title". Then, in the next box, type your new keyboard shortcut.

I just use the power button, though.

Picture 10.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.