external HD for PC and Mac

Reaction score
This subject has been beat to death on this forum and elsewhere but I've made little progress in understanding how to accomplish what I need to.

Current Setup:
I have an XP computer that uses a 500 GB FreeAgent USB drive for backup and to store my iTunes library. The drive only has about 18 GB in use.

What I'd Like:
I'd like to make the drive available also to my new Mac so it can use it for Time Machine backups and also move my iTunes library so I can manage it from the Mac. Then continue using the external HD for PC backups.

I understand I'll need to temporarily store the 18 GB data somewhere, make a partition on the drive and format that for the Mac, then put the 18 GB data back on the XP partition. Then deal with iTunes according to several forum articles. I don't really have a place to put the 18GB data temporarily. Will Partition Magic or something similar help here?

Thanks.

Reaction score
What format is the drive in? FAT32, NTFS or HFS+?
If its FAT32 then you can already use it for PC and MAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You have a few choices:

-Reformat to FAT-32, which Windows won't do for you but your Mac will. Remember, FAT-32 has some restrictions on file size and won't use the disc as efficiently as NTFS.

-Buy a or download a Mac App that will allow your Mac to read/use NTFS.

-Buy or download an App that will allow Windows to read/use Mac format discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.