• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Downloading and Converting Video Clips Simply

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've tried to no avail to use download helper to download and convert vids from youtube to use with presentations. I have downloaded ffmpeg and the codecs needed to convert the files, but it has not worked with firefox.

Is there any simple program out there to download videos so that you can import them within PowerPoint? Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Easiest way I've ever downloaded videos from youtube has been in Safari - go to the videos page, allow it to be fully viewable, go to your activity window (it's under the window dropdown or option+command+A) look through there for the largest entry (anywhere from just under a meg to quite a few megs) then double click the entry and it will automagically start to download.

Once you have the video, it'll be in either .flv or .mp4 format. If you can't import into powerpoint with that, I'd suggest taking a look at mpegstreamclip ( Download MPEG Streamclip for Mac - Convert MPEG-1/MPEG-2 files, transport streams in several formats. MacUpdate Mac Video Software Downloads ) it's free and easy to use, just open the program, drag your video into the main window of the program, then go to file, and select the export format that you need. You may want to check powerpoints help to find out what formats are supported.

You may need to tweak the settings a little to get your export just the way you want it, but that is the process I use when I want/need a youtube video.

Reaction score
Well I've done something similar as Nethfel has mentioned, just a little different. Download the youtube video via Safari as mentioned. When it's finished, change the end of the file to .flv, go into ffmpegx, and drag the file to the left side box and it will automatically choose .avi to encode it. After that click encode and you should be good to go.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

For now I've been testing out mpegstreamclip, and it's convenient in that it has the trim feature. One thing that's odd though is that if you convert to windows media it only converts some of what's been trimmed (roughly half).

The avi quality is better. Is there any danger in just using the bigger clip size with avis? In other words, 20 to 30 mb clips making a huge powerpoint file?

I'll try out the other option as well.

Two things that blow about showing the clips within Powerpoint I've found are:
– zoom to full screen seems to make it extremely choppy (maybe there's a setting within windows to fix this)
– you can't rewind or fast forward (so stupid...)

Thanks for the wonderful tips from everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly, the powerpoint stuff I can't answer - I don't usually have to create presentations, and the few that I've had to do have only required stills. Hopefully someone with more experience w/ PP can answer the PP specific stuff :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.