Something similar to microsoft publisher

Reaction score
Hi, can someone recommend a good MAC program under $150 that is very similar to micorosft publisher.

Carmine

Reaction score
Hi, can someone recommend a good MAC program under $150 that is very similar to micorosft publisher.

Carmine

Not sure what features of publisher you use, but check out the website alternativeto.net. Some choices are:

Pages
Swift publisher
Scribus

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Pages, part of Apple's iLife suite is a page layout program in addition to being a decent word processor. A free trial should have been included with your Mac. If not, you can download a trial here.

Be aware that you can pickup iWork significantly cheaper at retailers other than Apple.

Reaction score
being a recent convert myself as well as a former ms publisher user, my first thought was pages. when i tried pages trial, it reminded me of publisher.

Reaction score
Pages, part of Apple's iLife suite is a page layout program in addition to being a decent word processor. A free trial should have been included with your Mac. If not, you can download a trial here.

Be aware that you can pickup iWork significantly cheaper at retailers other than Apple.

I've been looking at forums about this also.

I Have a Mac. My office has files sent to me that are *.pub. I need to open them. Now, is there any program (short of buying MS office for Mac) that will open a *.pub file on a Mac?

I have Neo office and that won't open them.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can try zamzar to convert to pdf.

Adobe will also do a conversion to pdf.

Or give pdfonline a try.

Your next option is going to be to install Windows and Publisher.

Just know that it's not any easier if you have Windows and don't have Publisher.

Reaction score

Carmine

You could get the latest Mac version of Open Office. It will open MS word docs. And the Mac version of the Gimp.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You could get the latest Mac version of Open Office. It will open MS word docs. And the Mac version of the Gimp.

Neither are comparable to MS Publisher, which is distinct from Microsoft Word. Publisher is a page layout program, along the same lines as Pages in iWork (prior to the '08 version which introduced word processing features).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at iStudio Publisher. Has a lot in common with MS Publisher and it's only $49.99.

Of course you can't beat the price of GIMP though... :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Open Office will make business cards and web pages then you add graphics with Gimp. The OP didnt say they needed to open MS Publisher docs.{very similar to micorosft publisher.}

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Office will make business cards and web pages then you add graphics with Gimp. The OP didnt say they needed to open MS Publisher docs.{very similar to micorosft publisher.}

There is no way in either Windows or OS X to open MS Publisher documents (*.PUB) other than to use MS Publisher. The only way I know how to open them in OS X is if they've been converted first to *.PDF format.

If it's business cards and web pages with graphics the OP needs to work on, he's better off using something like iWork09 Pages which IMO is better suited for the job.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have mac office 2008 (OS X) and am using Word, changing the view to publishing layout, and notice the tabs above for the different templates :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.