Keyboard combinations

Reaction score
I set up Quicksilver on a MBP so that I only have to press one key to open it. I went to the QS preferences, hit fn-~, and now only have to hit the ~ key to start QS. Works perfect!

I'd like to be able to do the same on an iMac, but can't figure out the key combination to set it up (keyboards are different). iMac's don't have the "fn" key...

On the iMac I've tried Cntl-~, Opt-~, Cmd-~ and Shift-~. Anyone have a suggestion?

T

todd51

It's because you have a full desktop keyboard. The Fn key is common on laptops that don't have full-size keyboards. They can keep the keyboard smaller and just make some keys have two different functions.

Whenever I used Quicksilver, I changed the Spotlight keyboard shortcut from Command+Space to Option+Space. Then I set the Quicksilver combination to Command+Space (the Spotlight default).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or, he can buy a full sized aluminum keyboard from Apple for $49 (wired) which does have the Fn key. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.