backing up an xp installation

Reaction score
Hi,

I've purchased my new MBP and am mightly impressed by it. I still haven't made a complete jump from XP and have installed xp via bootcamp.

I'm a long time XP user and know from bitter experience that frequent image based back-ups are a must. I've used Acrinis True Image to do this.

Do I still use Acronis to make an image of my FAT 32 xp installation. Would this be of any use when I need to restore xp.

I looked into winclone but the bootcamp volume has to be formatted as NTFS.

I'm going to install parallels later.

So what's the best way to back-up an installation of xp in bootcamp?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
see this thread or search for the others like it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Assume you're using FAT32 to maintain read/write capability from the Mac OS X environment. If so, I would highly suggest you convert to NTFS (very simple in Windows and can be done on-the-fly) and take a look at either MacFUSE with NTFS-3G plug-in or Paragon NTFS for Mac.

This will save you a lot of headache down the road, increase performance in Windows and allow you to use WinClone, which is pretty much the only utility that makes it easy to maintain backups of a Boot Camp Windows installation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm a long time XP user and know from bitter experience that frequent image based back-ups are a must. I've used Acrinis True Image to do this.

Do I still use Acronis to make an image of my FAT 32 xp installation. Would this be of any use when I need to restore xp.

Not true about WinClone. It fully supports cloning FAT-32 volumes as well as NTFS. See here.

Unless you have some compelling reason to convert your XP partition to NTFS (security, etc.) I would leave it as FAT-32 since that will allow read write capability without having to use third party software.

As far as Acronis True Image is concerned, it does not work from Boot
Camp. You can create the image, but it will refuse to restore it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Hi,

I've purchased my new MBP and am mightly impressed by it. I still haven't made a complete jump from XP and have installed xp via bootcamp.

I'm going to install parallels later.

So what's the best way to back-up an installation of xp in bootcamp?

Thanks.

Unless you have a specific reason to use bootcamp, I would make the switch to a virtual machine. I use VMWare Fusion. I picked up a copy for $20. You can also get VirtualBox for free.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for all you replies. I'll check out winclone as suggested and the thread mentioned.

I'm in the process of installing parallels. So far so good. I'll report back on my success or otherwise.

Cheers

Reaction score
although i had difficult time installing newer (purchased) version of parallels, i believe it has a disk image copy, snapshot image

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.