G4 cube//home recording

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
i just picked up a power mac G4 cube with logic pro 7. I need to know what kind of audio/midi interface i need and how to solve the usb problem. it tells me that the usb is drawing to much power when the speakers and/or mouse are plugged into the keyboard. would the m-audio mobilepre would be a good interface for recording on this machine. idk what would be compatable

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I take it the G4 Cube came with the Apple keyboard with the 2 USB ports? If so, do not plug anything into the keyboard ports at all that needs any power. Just mice and low current things. Get a USB Hub and plug it into one of the ports on the cube itself. You will always get that message plugging anything like that into the keyboard ports.

You should not get that message with just the mouse plugged in. What mouse is it?

Also just a note, the ports on the Cube since it's a rather old machine are USB 1.1 and not 2.0. That might get in the way with some devices and speed.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
its a wireless mouse... im sure a different mouse would work fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.