• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This Day in Tech

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
At that point in time, Microsoft needed Apple around as much as Apple needed Microsoft. Had Apple folded, with all the patent suits between the two, it wouldn't have looked good for Microsoft - particularly with the DOJ anti-trust investigations happening.

Still wondering what ever happened to "Justice 98"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Unibody
It is interesting how times have changed, the company really evolved from that standpoint..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
It's hard to imagine tech today without Apple.

Just think, for example, a lot of PC manufacturers "borrow" ideas and designs from Apple. For example, looking at some of the current HP products and to a lesser extent Sony, the design of their products have some striking similarities to a lot of Apple products. So I'd argue, in 2009 if Apple were not to exist, a lot of computers would still be ugly.

Also, I'd argue that the iPhone started the whole smartphone war that is going on now. Just two-three years ago smartphones were not that popular, or rather just not sought after. Now, after the iPhone, we got endless cellphone manufacturers building touchscreen smartphones, such as Nokia, LG, Samsung, etc.

One more thing: OSX. Just look at what Microsoft has been doing with their latest OSes and some Linux distributions. You can tell Mac OSX is a great inspiration to many other OSes today.

I'd don't want to say this sounding as an Apple fanboy, but life would suck a little more without Apple. At least for me anyway.

Reaction score
It's hard to imagine tech today without Apple.

Just think, for example, a lot of PC manufacturers "borrow" ideas and designs from Apple. For example, looking at some of the current HP products and to a lesser extent Sony, the design of their products have some striking similarities to a lot of Apple products. So I'd argue, in 2009 if Apple were not to exist, a lot of computers would still be ugly.

Also, I'd argue that the iPhone started the whole smartphone war that is going on now. Just two-three years ago smartphones were not that popular, or rather just not sought after. Now, after the iPhone, we got endless cellphone manufacturers building touchscreen smartphones, such as Nokia, LG, Samsung, etc.

One more thing: OSX. Just look at what Microsoft has been doing with their latest OSes and some Linux distributions. You can tell Mac OSX is a great inspiration to many other OSes today.

I'd don't want to say this sounding as an Apple fanboy, but life would suck a little more without Apple. At least for me anyway.

I agree 100%. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.