transfer files from my PC to my Mac

Reaction score
The time has come to begin transferring files from my XP notebook to my shiny new MBP. I've searched/followed all the instructions given on this forum and on the Mac help but no joy. I've set up sharing on both computers. I don't really need to set up a network, just the 2 computers on the same wireless router so I can pick an XP file and bring it to the Mac. I get the impression that all the instructions are for a network so maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If the two machines are connected to a router, then you are essentially using a network to transfer the files. Make sure that File Sharing is enabled on the Windows machine and that your firewall software is set to allow it to happen.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that. I was able to get it to work but only by disabling my Mac firewall. And now my Mac loses internet connection regardless of the Mac firewall settings unless my PC is on. Yikes! What have I done?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow. That makes no sense at all - not unless you somehow have the PC setup for Internet sharing and the Mac is connected to it. If that's true, make sure the Mac is connected directly to the router.

I'm assuming you intend to fetch files from the Windows machine. If that's true, then you need not touch the Mac's firewall (in fact, it should be turned on and set to "Set access for specific services and applications".

Then, mosey over to your Windows machine and share the folders you want the Mac to see. When done, if you're using 3rd party firewall, turn it off to do the transfer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes it is weird. I was hoping it was an anomaly but this morning I had to shut off the Mac firewall again to connect to the PC. At least this time shutting down the PC did not affect the Mac internet connection. Progress!

You are correct, I only need to be able to open a PC share on the Mac so I can bring files over to the Mac. I don't need to view Mac shares on the PC. I don't even have sharing set up on the Mac.

The more I use my MBP the faster I want to move stuff off of the PC and onto the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
I have all my files backed up on a portable HD, can I just transfer them by way of the USB cable as well?

OP
M
Reaction score
Interesting side note to this project:

I find myself cringing everytime I have to turn on my PC so I'm getting little done on the project discussed in this thread.

BTW, has anyone used a product from Hitachi called SimpleNet? It allows you to put an external USB drive on your network. Not supposed to be real fast but it gets around the biggest problem with a USB drive, IMO. I've got it almost working but not quite. Can't find any tech help from them so far.

Reaction score
buy TIme Capsule.. a wi-fi router and 1tb hardrive built in...you can store your files up to 1tb...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
When I transfer (legally) downloaded movies from my non-apple desktop to my MacBook, I use FileZilla to connect to the MB via FTP when both computers are connected to the router of my home network. The FTP settings are as follows:

Host: The subnet address of your MB, provided by the router. Normally something like 192.168.x.x (in business networks, 10.x.x.x is also commonly used). You can find your subnet address under System Preferences / Sharing in OSX.
Username: Your OSX username
Password: The password associated with your OSX username.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes it is weird. I was hoping it was an anomaly but this morning I had to shut off the Mac firewall again to connect to the PC.
This seems to be a for-real situation. I tried to connect to another wireless network at the home I am visiting. Unless I shut down the Mac's firewall, I can't see the workgroup on my host's PC.

Reaction score
trying out a SimpleNET NAS

Re: SimpleNET

Yes, I've started using a SimpleNET. Setting it up with a static IP address
was difficult...it wouldn't "stick" via the web browser, so I had to
SSH in and edit /etc/sysconfig/config/ifcfg-eth0,
changing a few lines:

BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.84.4.3
PDNS=10.84.2.10
SDNS=10.84.3.15

(and others as needed ... your DNS and IP addresses will differ from mine, of course)

and then did:
sync
reboot

when it came back, it had the new IP address!

I don't have any performance numbers for it yet.

Stan

OP
M
Reaction score
Re: SimpleNET

Yes, I've started using a SimpleNET. Setting it up with a static IP address
was difficult...it wouldn't "stick" via the web browser, so I had to
SSH in and edit /etc/sysconfig/config/ifcfg-eth0,
changing a few lines:

BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.84.4.3
PDNS=10.84.2.10
SDNS=10.84.3.15

(and others as needed ... your DNS and IP addresses will differ from mine, of course)

and then did:
sync
reboot

when it came back, it had the new IP address!

I don't have any performance numbers for it yet.

Stan
Thanks. After exchanging 20 emails with their tech support I returned it to Best Buy for a refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.