15 Year PC Vet, Considering Moving To MPB 13

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. As a 15 year PC guy (not that long compared to some), and a consumer who recently purchased another laptop, I am really considering moving to a mac, but I have some questions. I almost always have my work laptop for my day job which gives me access to windows, I just realized that I usually just stay on the my work laptop at home when I surf since there isn't much difference between my new one and the work unit. That got me thinking, at home I have options....

I have used PC's forever. I use gmail for my personal e-mail, and then google apps for my business that I own. I use contacts mostly on my personal for both accounts, but use multiple calendars under my personal gmail and gapps.

Here is my question. I currently use Thunderbird to sync all of my contacts with google and all of my calendars. Is there away to do this with mac?

Also, I use go to meeting, and other business apps to hold meetings and conferences. I basically need a mac that can do all of the e-mails web surfing, plus I really like the presentation with the iwork software.

I also need to be able to handle multiple user accounts, one for me, one for my wife. Is there a good way to setup a mac so the itunes library, photos and videos can be accessed by both of us?

Last but not least the thing that pulled me in is the functionality with iphoto, itunes, and imovie. I am working with family photos and movies, and really like that I can get whatever media I want and roll it together with out using the explorer window. I tried using Photoshop elements and it takes a few seconds between going from the edit functions to projects and this is on a 3 month old laptop with 4GB of ram and windows 7.

I think I can sell my current PC for about $550, but when I add in Adobe Elements and Premiere, plus the New Windows 7 (using the RC now and it's great, I won't go back to Vista, I will go back to Linux before Vista) I have an extra $240 in software that I will need to buy in the next few months. I would be at $790 and within $200 of a 13" macbook refurb through Apple or on a new one on Ebay for $1069 with the bing.com cashback.

All of that said, I am thinking I can get buy with a 13" as I need to take it with me and my new PC is a 16" 16:9 and I think it is to big to lug around. If I really like the MBP, I will probably end up getting an imac for home or another MBP for the wife.

What information do I need to know? Is there anything I missed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thunderbird functions quite nicely in OS X. I'd imagine Zindus (plugin I assume you're using) would work too without issue. CalDAV works with iCal, since I use BusySync to sync multiple Macs and use the .me service to sync with mobile devices.. I don't use it.. but I have, and it did work.

GoToMeetings page indicates what Mac configurations they support. Anything shipped now would far surpass the minimum requirements. Oh and Unix has had multiple user capabilities since long before windows ;) And yes, while I haven't bothered with itunes, here's how to do it in iphoto.

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

btw, you don't need to use thunderbird to sync with google, it's built right in.

macgooglecontactsync1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.