Bearshare alternative on mac

Reaction score
I recently purchased a macbook, and most of my applications have a similar alternative on the mac, and many are better, but I can't find an alternative to bearshare. I was paying $7.95/month on bearshare to listen to music, which is much better than rhapsody, but now I can't run bearshare on the mac without using vmware or parallels. Does anyone use a similar service on a mac and recommend one??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Try Codeweaver's Crossover. Will allow you to run Windows programs without Windows.

Reaction score
Codeweaver's Crossover & Bearshare

I just recently switched to Mac and was searching the internet trying to find a way to make Bearshare work on my Macbook as well. I ran across the same suggestion to try Codeweaver's Crossover to run Bearshare on my computer. I tried and tried and could not get Bearshare to work even with Codeweaver's. Just kept getting an error that my SmartHeap Library was full and to empty it. Well after much searching I realized that there is no such thing on a Mac (that I could find), it's Windows based.

This sent me on a search for an alternative for Bearshare. I found a couple of suggested p2p's & torrents and tried a couple. I'm now using Frostwire for all of my file sharing. I've seen no incapatability issues so far and it works great. Best thing is there's a free version so you can try it first without spending any $$.

If you're still looking try downloading it at FrostWire.com - Official Website - Download Free P2P BitTorrent/Gnutella Client - No Subscriptions, Just Download and Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
I'm a frostwire fan too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
What about Spotify?

Awesome music app!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
People still use Bearshare~? How quaint!

Acquisition was always the client I used for this kind of thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.