• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need a different career

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Hi All,

Has any-one on this forum changed careers succesfully?

I work in IT at the moment, Business Intelligence to be exact, so spend my days writing code, mappings and queries to keep a datawarehouse up and running, writing reports etc..... and I am sooooo bored.

I'd really like to have a career that isn't so dependant on computers, well PC's i suppose to be exact.

Everything I look at requires a long expensive training period, and/or doesn't pay as much as my current job. With a family and a mortgage that is important.

Sorry if this sounds like a moaning post, its not meant to be, i'd just like to find out about other peoples experience of changing careers, what they started out doing and what they do now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro, 2.53gHz, 4GB mem, 250GB HD; 13.3" Macbook (White), 2gHz, 2GB mem, 120GB HD
I can't give you any personal advice on changing careers, as I have never really done so purposefully, however, I think the key to unlocking your answer is in the quote in your signature. Knowledge is the only thing that will really be able to help you switch careers, well, knowledge and courage really. So, I guess you have to figure out how motivated you really are to making the change and perhaps give that new training a second look. If you really want it, you will find a way to make it so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Join the military. They could always use the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I'd be thankful that you have a job in this current climate.

However I do empathise with your situation. I too am in IT and know for a fact I will not be able to change careers without loosing a big chunk of my salary.

I suppose you need to make a choice, money, or new career.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
well, here's my plan.. because I too work in technology (dev side, not IT) and loathe it on a daily basis. My wifes finishing up her advanced degree and will be getting her CPA.. once that's complete I'm going to go back to school so that I can go play with rocks.

All it really takes is a plan, and perhaps some preparation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My career has been Landscaper > LEO > Landscaper > UNIX > ??? Guess Landscaper is in my future again at some point. I like playing with rocks too! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just tired of being inside, and not really SEEING the results of my labor. I think I preferred being a carpenter to be honest :D

But I love checking out the local geology... which, since I live in between the top and bottom of an ancient volcano.. lots of that to check out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Unibody
i've seen plenty of people changing careers successfully before. but i suppose your current job is pretty decent i wouldnt have an idea why you would want to switch

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just be thankful for what you have. If you really want to change then you need to go back to school. Full time job plus night school just screams of fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i've seen plenty of people changing careers successfully before. but i suppose your current job is pretty decent i wouldnt have an idea why you would want to switch

there is far more to fulfillment in work, as well as in life, than money

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't know how much money you guys make but in the U.S. if you make below 250,000 dollars a year you are considered below middle class.

Even so you can still live comfortably.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
An idea from me:

If the wife is working, then you could enter the trades. Apprentice then get qualified. The only catch would be what trade to pick and would it be enough cash to support your current lifestyle.

For me I'm in a trade. Hospitality as a chef. And I like it. But it;s up to you. As you'd be learning and earning at the same time. ANd very different from your old IT job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I left my old job and went to grad school for a new career path. I have a mountain of student loan debt, but that's ok with me. Even if I ended up with some other job and a pay cut, it would have been worth it to get out of that work. Of course, I didn't have a family or mortgage to worry about. If that were my situation I probably have just dealt with it.

I think I would have to agree that you should probably try to look on the birght side that you have a job, and what seems to sound like a well-paying one. Maybe you just need something else in your life to make it more enjoyable in general like getting more involved in your hobbies or making some other changes for the better.

Things are definitely different than a few decades ago. People used to generally stay in the same job, or company, for years regardless of how they felt about it. Work was work, and that's all there was to it. Now people change companies and careers all the time. I think there's a time to change when you can and a time to settle in and make the best of it, focusing on more important matters. Are we all becoming too self0indulgent and unwilling to make any personal compromises?

T

todd51

I completely agree with you, fleurya.

Peter Gibbons: "What if we're still doing this when we're fifty?"
Samir: "It would be nice to have that kind of job security."

-Office Space

Had to throw that one in there, love that quote. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Things are definitely different than a few decades ago. People used to generally stay in the same job, or company, for years regardless of how they felt about it. Work was work, and that's all there was to it.

There used to be some stability in staying with a company for a long term. Now that's no longer true. In fact, often in my experience the person that's been there long term is more expensive and will be more likely to be laid off to be replaced by someone more junior, who is in turn replaced by a comparatively unskilled recent college grad. At least this is how the technology industry pretty much runs. I've seen too many 25-30 year PLUS employees laid off to not be jaded :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"You are irreplaceable. Your position, however, can be restaffed..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My favorite ones are when they get rid of a position, so they can call it a layoff, then create a new position title.. or same title in a different organization internally and hire someone at 1/3rd the cost. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I'm just tired of being inside, and not really SEEING the results of my labor. I think I preferred being a carpenter to be honest :D

But I love checking out the local geology... which, since I live in between the top and bottom of an ancient volcano.. lots of that to check out

You probably live in the most interesting area in the country to be a geologist!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.