Slow Wireless on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a new macbook pro. It seems the wireless internet with it is extremely slow. If i boot up into windows on it the internet works fast as it always has. Also if i try my other laptop(pc with windows) it works fine too.
I have googled and tried a few things I have found such as changing to wpa2 or wep2? for the router settings. Also using firefox instead of safari(this showed some improvement). However, all that still leaves me with my wireless still slow on the mac os side.
Does anyone know anything I can try? I am still learning quite a bit about the mac os so.
Thanks you
Adam

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately OS X wireless doesn't handle DNS addressing as well as Windows does. I had the same slow problem on my MacBook in OS X but not Windows. What I did was switch to OpenDNS and never looked back. By the way, slow DNS response doesn't happen with every ISP, only certain ones. I use Verizon. Go to the OpenDNS web site to get started.

Link

Follow the above instructions to switch to OpenDNS. And... don't change your mode of security. Leave it at WPA2, do not use WEP.

Regards.

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, as I have been getting a little frustrated with the slow speed while surfing.

I have followed the guide and I have gained a huge speed increase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.