How to Install OS 9 onto HD with OX 10

J

jreinnoldt

I need to install OS 9 onto a HD that already has OS 10.2.6.
The restore CD just hangs and hangs.

==
I have OS 9 on an external FW HD. If I just copy that to my HD and select it as a start-up disc, will that work?

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That should work if it is for your system.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Copy it into another disk or directory, then chose it as the start up disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I went through this yesterday as well. If you bought a machine recently, it does come with OS9, but not the OS9 Install Disc. It is only a system restore. So you have to have X on your machine, and hten pop in the restore disc and it gives you the option to restore ONLY OS9 or you can choose to restore everything. I understand why Apple did this, but it doesn't hel pwhen you need a bootable OS9 CD.

But then again, this probably won't fix your issue of the machine hanging. I too am having problems reinstalling OSX or OS9 for that fact on my new iBook. I can't get a CD to boot past the initial "Continue" button in the X installer. Every other CD I have used with it has worked fine, but my iBook restore/OSX cd won't work. I even tried the X install CD from my iMac, and the same thing happened.

OP
J

jreinnoldt

Solved

Thanks. I did as someone else suggested: Just dragged my OS 9 system folder from an external FW HD and rebooted, and it works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.