Macbook 13' for music - What do I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21inch, 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, iPhone 4 32GB
Hi Mac community,

this is my first post, so please go easy on me :)

I've been a switcher for about 4 months now, purchasing a unibody Macbook 13' and loving everything about it. Having been a Windows PC user for around 15 years, it makes for a refreshing change (though I still use a PC in the office!).

My question is regarding using my Macbook for music...

Other than the sequencing software (ie Logic Pro), what else will I need in order to take full advantage of the Macbook for music creation? So far I have the following on my list:-

- Midi controller keyboard (any suggestions? Looking to spend under £100)
- Decent magnetically shielded speakers / monitors (again, any other suggestions?)

My music will be very 'loop based', so I have no intention of plugging in live instruments (ie guitar), but will need to use a microphone. What will I need in order to use a mike with the Macbook?

Is there anything else I am missing?

Any help with this will be very much appreciated.

Thanking the Mac community in advance,
Munkee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
First I would say that Logic is a very good choice, especially if you are going to be doing mostly loop based stuff.

Keyboard
I have a M-Audio Oxygen 61. When I bought it I was also looking to spend under £100. I have found it perfectly adequate. I think they are around £70, not sure about that though.

You need an audio interface. This will be where you plug your microphone into, and also where you plug your monitors into. I have an M-Audio Firewire 610, and have found it very good, with very good preamps. Audio interfaces can be USB or Firewire.

Where are you? If you are in UK, check out DV247. They have a huge amount of stuff, usually at pretty good prices.

Mike

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21inch, 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, iPhone 4 32GB
Just going back to my old post here...

I'm on the verge of purchasing Logic Studio (version 9). Just want to double check that my Unibody 13 inch Macbook will be suitable for music production, using Logic Studio. Can anybody out there put my mind at ease? I have the 2.4 Ghz Macbook, with 4 GB RAM.

Also. does anybody know the cheapest place to buy the latest Logic Studio?

Thanking the community in advance,
Munkee

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.