question re time machine my book

Reaction score
OK so I bought the obligatory western digital 1tb my book and use it for my time machine backup.

then the other day I thought .... part of this is to protect against ones hard drive dying .... but if the my book was bought at same time and set up straight away is it not reasonably likely that the my book would fail at same time as main hard drive ???

just a thought - what do all think ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
No. Hard drives can die in one day or one decade. Usually, somewhere in between. I am not trying to be a smart alleck, but it's true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
If you have two hard drives the odds of them going at the same time is very low. However, the older they get I suppose the chances do get better. If the data is that important to you use something else (like SuperDuper) as well as Time Machine:

SuperDuper!

F

fade

Also, If you're only using the MyBook for backups, it isn't being used nearly as often as your regular hd, which will help it's longevity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
eh. to be honest spin-ups are more taxing on a drive than read/writes are.

Reaction score
Dysfunction, what is a spin-up ? I have a new iMac, and the Western Digital 1 TB connected to the time machine. Are you saying the WD external HD has more wear and tear issues ?

Reaction score
I've had my 1 Gb time machine for a couple weeks now and I must say, I'M impressed! It integrated seamlessly and easily with my mac book. Finally got my HP 1600 printer working on the network as well.
MAC ROCKS!!

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, spin up is when the drive "first starts to rotate up to speed. There are more forces on the disk during this time than when its steadily rotating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.