Catching heck for buying an MBP.

Reaction score
I'd like to introduce myself here. I'm going to be coming to you guys with a lot of questions. I've never owned my own computer before but the ones I've used in my life have mostly been dell. Well, this MBP is my first computer ever. I finally got the money to get something worth while and I'm proud of it. Learning the new OS is proving to be only slightly frustrating thus far. But the most frustrating aspect to having a mac is all the heck I've been catching for it.

"Macs are just as bad as PCs so you have fun with that."

"Macs are a waste of money. They suck."

Just a sampling of the bs being hurled my way as of late....

I've never experienced a reaction quite like this before. I'm guessing a lot of you here have dealt with it. From where does the hatred stem? What's the deal?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's mostly diarrhea of the mouth and comments from the peanut gallery. They should be ignored.

Reaction score
Most of those sorts of comments come from people that have never actually owned a Mac, or use them occasionally, can't get their heads around them in the first five minutes then go around trying to shoot Mac users down.

The most common way to deal with these people is to ignore them..

Reaction score
If you feel the Macbook Pro is performing up to your expectations and needs, and it is allowing you to accomplish your tasks, why would anyone else's opinion matter?

Reaction score
Since they didn't pay for it - you did - I agree with all the rest. Just ignore them and enjoy your new Mac (and this forum). You will find this forum a lot of help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yes, after awhile you'll just be enjoying your Mac experience, you won't care anymore. In fact I'm usually mildly amused at the Mac hatred I see on other websites where people think their opinion on internet are worth anything.

'cause they aren't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
It's mostly diarrhea of the mouth and comments from the peanut gallery. They should be ignored.

I was going to write something, but there is no way I could say it better than this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Lets face it there is so many that lack the ability to have an open mind and a brain cell to understand the difference between two computing systems. Matter in fact when I was explaining what a unix core system means compared to other systems I was told that unix is for complete noobs that can't understand computers and no one should use unix or linux. I almost died of laughter, I should have called for an amblunce. But back on track, so many lack the maturity that so many of us have here. It is simply amazing how the internet has created such a, I can't find an correct word to say what I want to, but I bet many of us can fill that void easily in our heads.

T

todd51

Yea I get some of that stuff from others, but not as often as you would think. It doesn't bother my friends, even though they would never even think about buying one. They just don't feel the need to learn a new OS.

If I do catch anything about the OS being confusing, I usually just reply, well that's your opinion, or I let them know that my GRANDPARENTS are using a Mac as their main computer and haven't had any problems.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Most of those sorts of comments come from people that have never actually owned a Mac, or use them occasionally, can't get their heads around them in the first five minutes then go around trying to shoot Mac users down.
I agree. Most people that give me any hard time don't actually know what they're talking about and only make assumptions based on rhetoric they hear from others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
personally, I just chalk it up to jealousy and laugh at them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Welcome aboard, I am sure you are going to love your new purchase (you will love it - PCs are something you use, Macs give you a different fealing)

As for the comments, they are the same reaction of someone quietly envious, or similar to the reaction that you have joined a cult.

So welcome to the cult of Mac, although we don't require you to give us money, cut yourself off from friends or family or believe that we were created by dropping atomic bombs into volcanoes. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
I know what you mean. When I told my friends that I was going to get a Mac for college they all scoffed at me and said that they hated Macs. Mostly due to the fact that my high school's computer labs have always used Macs and they are sooooooo slow. Sometimes it can take 10 minutes just to open firefox.However, they never take into consideration that our whole school works off of one network and there can be as many as 100 or so people using it at the same time which is why its so darn slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Of course, you now (since Intel) have the wonderful retort of

'I could run Windows quite easily if I wanted to (BootCamp), I simply choose not to' :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have found that nearly all of the people who sling BS like that are ones that have never even touched a Mac or seen the OS. Those who have generally appreciate the elegance and robustness of the OS, although many still dislike the price tag associated with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
I'd like to introduce myself here. I'm going to be coming to you guys with a lot of questions. I've never owned my own computer before but the ones I've used in my life have mostly been dell. Well, this MBP is my first computer ever. I finally got the money to get something worth while and I'm proud of it. Learning the new OS is proving to be only slightly frustrating thus far. But the most frustrating aspect to having a mac is all the heck I've been catching for it.

"Macs are just as bad as PCs so you have fun with that."

"Macs are a waste of money. They suck."

Just a sampling of the bs being hurled my way as of late....

I've never experienced a reaction quite like this before. I'm guessing a lot of you here have dealt with it. From where does the hatred stem? What's the deal?

There hasn't really been much for me to deal with - other than a few misunderstandings that needed to be cleared up, e.g. the one about macs being expensive or overpriced. When I bought my alu MB 13", I needed a small (i.e. physically slim), lightweight (max 2 kg) notebook with decent HW specs, and to be honest, there weren't many computers to choose between. The least expensive ones were made by Apple, the rest were high-end models from HP or Asus (1.5-2x the price). So I just tell my friends/colleagues/family that my mac was the cheapest computer to fulfil my requirements to a notebook when I bought it. No further questions.

The hatred stems originally from Windows 3.11-users who at some point of time were forced to use lousy G3 iMacs with Mac OS 9.x and on top of it all: the G.D. hockey puck mouse! Believe me, I was one of them. And the fanboys don't make it better when they are going to explain why the computers are so great. Instead of saying that its hardware is designated for a high-end, UNIX-based OS, they talk about:
1) the aesthetics of the machine (I never did it well in arts at school so why would I care),
2) the user-friendliness of Mac OS (like I'm a moron who doesn't know how to use a real computer) and
3) that one can even play games on it (Photoshop is not a game)

Just my $0.02

Reaction score
yeah i get a lot of hatred from being a mac user. i just ignore it now.

When i first got my iMac all of my 'friends' made jokes.

with time i let them use my mac, and all of them, but three (two are gamers, the other is a windows fan boy)want of have macs.

dont be a mac fanboy though! - it makes the problem worse

Reaction score
I've been a PC user my entire life. I will be until I die. Macs are not for me. They do what they do perfectly well, and they do what a PC does MUCH better in some cases :p

Some people like to tinker around with hardware and think that installing all their own firewalls and antivirus / malware programs (or NEEDING to ) makes their machine much more sophisticated.

They are idiots and best left to their beliefs.

Ever since I got married my 'inherited' family has slowly been finding out I am 'good with computers'. They have nearly all, at some stage or another, asked me for 'help getting a computer'

To date, every one of them now owns a Mac of one flavor or another.

Why?

Because I told them to. For some of them, as with you, it was their very first computer of any sort. For others I knew exactly what their intended use was so it was easy talking them into it.

They sell themselves, they are as sexy as a computer gets and the whole "no viruses, no spyware, no problems it just works" campaign makes them almost impossible to turn away from in favor of a PC.

The real motivation for me to encourage their purchase of a MAC was because they are as near idiot proof as a computer could ever get. Apple offers so much support for these things that if you don't know how to use it after a month then it's your own fault. They are all standardized models which means hardware support is a simple case of taking it to an Apple Store and asking them to fix it :p

There are cons, but these are mostly restricted to 'hardcore gamers' and 'tech freaks' who want to pump liquid nitrogen through their hardware to squeeze an extra 100Mhz out of their CPU to push their latest game performance up 4fps.

Some of you won't know what that meant. A normal person shouldn't :)

By far the BIGGEST reason for me turning my relatives away from a PC is that I barely have enough time to keep everything on my PC updated and running smoothly for playing games, that I couldn't bare the thought, or spare the time, to do it all on their PC's as well just so they can check their email.

Reaction score
I've had mine for a few days now and based on my experience so far I'd say those people have their PC-vs-Mac argument exactly backwards.

Reaction score
i am a recent convert to mac after spending entire professional and personal life with a pc. just remind them:

1. i can get the best of both worlds; can use both mac software without giving up my previously purchased pc software (ms onenote, even if not using a tablet pc).

and number 2 and the biggie -- no longer have to deal with viruses and malware.

end of story

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.