erase with zero???

C

code777

Just curious, the guy at the Apple Store suggested that I erase my new LaCie w/zero. He said it would offer protection?? What does this mean? Thanks.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yep, that is, if you plan on giving it away.

OP
C

code777

well he actually said, "...it offers a layer of protection from bad sectors" - so not sure what this means or if it is even needed

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
code777 said:
well he actually said, "...it offers a layer of protection from bad sectors" - so not sure what this means or if it is even needed

Well, I guess, you could erase it, but I have never had problems using an external hard drive right out of the box.

OP
K

Kokopelli

When he said erase with zero he probably meant a zero-fill format. Basically fill the entire disk with zeroes to completely wipe whatever was on it before. You should not need to do that on a disk you are using for yourself. That is something you would do if you were to sell your used drive.

If you bought the drive used it might not be a bad idea though. You never know what the previous owner may have left on it.

OP
C

code777

huh, weird - he just said when you hook it up zero it and then use CCC to clone a bootable back up.

So basically its not needed because its brand new out of the box... still no idea y he suggested that though...

OP
K

Kokopelli

Zeroing out the drive would detect the bad sectors, but I do not believe it would do anything about them.

As I understand it most modern File Systems detect and bypass bad sectors dynamically at write time.

EDIT: Yeah, I would just go straight to CCC. Zeroing the drive should not be necessary.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
code777 said:
huh, weird - he just said when you hook it up zero it and then use CCC to clone a bootable back up.

So basically its not needed because its brand new out of the box... still no idea y he suggested that though...

He probably had a bad experience in the past. I'm sure that he doesn't try to confuse Apple customers. :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.