Who, What, Why, When, Where

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future prospect
Who are Mac people?
What do they do with their Mac's?
Why are PC people so hostile to Mac heads?
When will this stop if ever?
Where do I start?

Basically I've reached that time in my life were I need to make a decision do I stay with PC and all the hassle and heartache. Or do I make what I suspect could be one of the best things I have ever done and buy a Mac!
I'm 41 and have been dabbling in computers since the tender age of 15. My parents bought me my first PC for my 18th birthday and I have had a PC ever since. The Mac crowd were always there but I regarded them with indifference and ignorance. Neither disliking or liking but I must say the Mac kit always looked slick.
If I were to replace my PC tomorrow I would be in Vista territory and that fills me with dread. I work in IT and have to support newbie people trying to use a computer for the first time and have to wade through the bull that is Vista.
I want one less thing to worry about and Mac looks like it may offer me that.
The primary question is is a Mac right for me and my family? OK so who is using the computer at the moment
1) Wife web, document generation, Facebook, photograph viewing.
2) Daughter (who is 5) Music, Youtube, word games, photographs, drawing and painting.
3) Me Games WOW mainly, documents, spreadsheets, photoshop, Matrix 6, web browsing, music, Facebook etc...
My budget is what ever it takes within reason it needs to be static and feel like a piece of the furniture. So what is the correct Mac for me or am i barking up the wrong tree because of my gaming obsession.

Regards Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
If you're looking for a desktop than an IMac should do the trick for you. WoW is supported on the Mac platform, I haven't played it myself though. It should meet the majority of your other requirements. If you have the need to run Windows you can do so by using BootCamp or by a virtual machine using VMware Fusion or Parallels.

I've been in IT for over 25 years and had no issue with switching. I found it more stable. I still have to use Windows at work, but it's always a pleasure to come home and perform my personal computing on my MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in- Macbook Pro Unibody, 2.53GHz, 4G DDR3, 250G HDD
I just bought my first Mac 2 weeks ago. I had always been PC, although my thoughts may change currently for myself i prefer PC for a Desktop, and a Macbook for a laptop, and ill explain why.

Desktop = PC
1. Its doesnt go anywhere so you dont gain much from the metal casing of the Mac Pro or the spacesaving of an iMac(assuming you have a decent size desk)
2. Customization, you can build one from scratch to your personal prefered specs, hardware brands and easily replace them.
3. "Generally" cheaper, more bang for your buck if you will.
4. Runs more gaming oriented programs.
5. Although with a new child learning how to use a computer in your case means she will probably find some virus's and cause you some headache from time to time, but that isnt neccesarily a 100% thing.

Laptop = Macbook
1. Doesnt have that cheap plastic casing nearly if not all PC brands have
2. Much faster boot ups and less maintenance when a laptop generally needs to be booted up quick, used and shut down when your on the go.
3. Applecare(in my experience and friends) will fix any problems you have in a few days as long as you live close to an Apple Store.
4. Safer on other peoples networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Sounds to me like one of the 24" iMacs are for you. If you do have some Windows programs that you'd like to use then you can boot up Windows in Boot Camp, or run it as a virtual machine. It's like buying two computers for the price of one. I think you may really appreciate the big screen for gaming and viewing photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I bought an 20 inch iMac at the end of March this year and have never looked back. I have had Computers since 1972, the days when there was no software on the shelf. The only programs that were being used where the ones I had to learn to write myself. Invoice, Reminder, VAT accounts and the like.

I have had windows since the 80's. My advice is go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2G RAM 160G HD
I just got a MBP 13" a few weeks ago.I am 43, not really a computer person. Today was the first time I used iWorks Pages. The last time i tried to use another word program, I got so angry trying to get the page set up,getting the printer set up downloading the drivers and so forth and so forth. That sometimes it was just easier for me to hand draw out tables. iWorks Pages is easy and simple. Printing was Preview then Print. I think that this is the way computers should work. I did not like the cost at first but now i am getting over that. I think that you will be pleased with what ever Mac you decide to get. Good Luck

Reaction score
Kind of in the same mindset. Just bought my first Mac (notebook for my wife) so that I could see for myself it Mac is any better (I'm quite certain its different) than Windows.

I am also considering an iMac (for something new) but I don't think it would replace my real PC for gaming....running WOW at max resolution and settings. I hear you can 'run' WOW on a Mac but I know you can't run it the way I run it!

I like the Mac's they have a nice presentation - clean, cute but also very limited to whatever Apple gives you each year with their products roll out i.e. not terribly customizable.

I think the OS is probably better - just wish Apple would give up on the proprietary hardware and really give Windows a run for the money in the marketplace.

Reaction score
I just bought my first Mac 2 weeks ago. I had always been PC, although my thoughts may change currently for myself i prefer PC for a Desktop, and a Macbook for a laptop, and ill explain why.

Desktop = PC
1. Its doesnt go anywhere so you dont gain much from the metal casing of the Mac Pro or the spacesaving of an iMac(assuming you have a decent size desk)
2. Customization, you can build one from scratch to your personal prefered specs, hardware brands and easily replace them.
3. "Generally" cheaper, more bang for your buck if you will.
4. Runs more gaming oriented programs.
5. Although with a new child learning how to use a computer in your case means she will probably find some virus's and cause you some headache from time to time, but that isnt neccesarily a 100% thing.

Laptop = Macbook
1. Doesnt have that cheap plastic casing nearly if not all PC brands have
2. Much faster boot ups and less maintenance when a laptop generally needs to be booted up quick, used and shut down when your on the go.
3. Applecare(in my experience and friends) will fix any problems you have in a few days as long as you live close to an Apple Store.
4. Safer on other peoples networks.

I agree with that for the most part. My self-built gaming desktop PC will beat an iMac into a bloody pulp in gaming which is the main reason for me to use it. It will probably annihilate even some Mac Pros in videocard intensive games. And all for well under $1000.

The laptops are a different story. I come from the world of Thinkpads which imho are by far the best when it comes to PC laptops. But a Mac laptop is definitely a notch higher in several aspects, hence my switch to the Macbook. Of course, the fact that it has UNIX underneath the OS helps too as I used to be a bit of a Linux junkie.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future prospect
Thanks to all that replied I just hope my PC packs up soon as that will giddy up the wife to take the plunge and get a new machine.
I think my only worry is the gameing side of things but then again gameplay has always been my first priority and graphics secondry.
Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.