Can't totally remove unwanted app from the dock

Reaction score
I deleted an application from my computer and used AppTrap to get rid of all the junk files that went with it. I deleted the program icon from the dock, but the application's name still pops up above where the icon used to be. And...there is a blank space in the dock where the app's icon used to be (as though it was still there but invisible). Anyone have any suggestions as to how I go about fixing that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
try opening terminal and issuing

killall Dock

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can try to relaunch the Dock. You can do this in one of two ways:

1. Open Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app), find "Dock" in the list and click "Quit Process".
2. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app), type "killall Dock" (without the quotation marks) and hit enter.

In both instances, the dock will quit but will relaunch immediately afterwords. Is the mysterious blank space still there?

EDIT: Dysfunction beat me to it! :)

OP
D
Reaction score
I followed the instructions and got the following message: No matching processes belonging to you were found. Nothing changed on the dock.

OP
D
Reaction score
Next followed vansmiths' instructions and killall Dock seemed to have worked. At least I didn't get any kind of an error message (or what appeared to be one), but nothing changed in or on the Dock.

OP
D
Reaction score
When I go to the activity monitor I don't think I can't shut the program down either with "Quit Process" or "Force Quit"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Next followed vansmiths' instructions and killall Dock seemed to have worked. At least I didn't get any kind of an error message (or what appeared to be one), but nothing changed in or on the Dock.
If it was successful, it won't have reported anything back. The only thing that should have happened was the restarting of the dock. Me and Dysfunction's command were the same but it's important to note that the command was case-sensitive (hence why your first attempt probably didn't work). The Activity Monitor method and the killall method effectively do the same thing so there should be no difference in outcome.

Have you tried reinstalling the application and while installed, interacting with the blank space (clicking, removing...)? What application was it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.