• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Looking For A Video Converter

Reaction score
I saw another thread like this but it didn't really seem to address my issue. I used to be running a PC and had AVS video converter. It converted all types of files like MPG, MP4, AVI, stuff that like is what I need, to convert videos I download in MPG to MP4 to put on my iPod. Ideas? Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Handbrake does a good, if slow job.

HandBrake

Toast Pro will also convert but you have to pay for that.

Reaction score
well, Ive tried to use handbrake many times to convert vids onto my ipod, any idea why it dosnt work???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
well, Ive tried to use handbrake many times to convert vids onto my ipod, any idea why it dosnt work???

Nope. Let me look into it.

Reaction score
Any news on this? Handbrake won't let me use avi files as a source for transcoding. Need one to convert the movies my camcorder records (avi format) into mp4 for an Ipod.

C

chas_m

See if you can find a copy of Visualhub (now discontinued but still works) or VideoMonkey (free).

Reaction score
Thanks

This was helpfull. Thanks. I want to make AVI files from DVD, but no software does it. Only convert to MP4. But I want AVI.
There are other applications to do it?

C

chas_m

You want to make AVI files from a DVD? Ah, its usually the opposite way around.

Handbrake, as you say, makes MP4s ... but those can of course be converted to AVIs using various different programs, I happen to like MPEG Streamclip (free) for this but there are lots of other options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.