Syncing iPhone to MacBook pro

Reaction score
Hello, I am going to get my mac tomorrow. I was wondering I have a bunch of names and adreesses in my iPhone. If I sync will it sync everything on my iPhone to my new mac or will it erase everything on my iPhone because there is nothing on my mac. Basically, how do I make sure my phone gets synced to my mac and not the other way around write back thanks Carmine

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I believe if you sync the iPhone with the Mac it will try to sync what's on the Mac to the iPhone and since you don't have anything there, it will end up erasing the contents of your iPhone. I don't think there's a way of saying copy the contents from the iPhone to the Mac first and then sync.

One of the first things I did when I sync'ed my iPhone to the Mac was to tell it to use my Gmail contacts as the primary list, that way I started out right.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there is a way around this..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
If you have never synced an iPhone with the new Mac, the iPhone WILL SEND all data (Contacts, Calendar, Bookmarks, etc) over to the new Mac.

Just an FYI that what you want to do is make sure everything in your iPhone is in order, then sync it. The new Mac will pull the records into Address Book, iCal, and Safari (for Bookmarks).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.