• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Format types - Mini DV, Harddrive or SD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
I have been using a mini-dv recorder however it has just broken so I am looking to replace it. I like the size of the SD card cameras but I read somewhere and was then told in a shop that the SD card cameras dont work with a mac or imovie.
I cant think why this would be so I figured I would check here.

I cant see why the hard drive cameras wouldnt either.

Could it be a format problem or just an old wives tale?

I am at the budget end of the price spectrum but if anyone has any suggestions of a nice camera then Id also like to hear it.

Cheers

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Some cameras are not directly compatible with Mac editing software (example: JVC Everio (sp?) and their custom format). A lot depends on what version of iMovie or Final Cut you are using, as well as the format you want to work in.

For example - I see in your list, you note iMac G5 - that cancels out compatibility with AVCHD, which nixes pretty much any HD camera that records to SD or Hard Drive. If you're looking at Standard Def cameras, you may have more options.

It may be time to consider moving to an intel based mac, especially if you want to use an HD camcorder. I know I use a Canon HF100 (HD camcorder that records to SD cards) and I have no problem editing my footage on my systems (I use FCE and FCP, but per Apples compatibility list here: iMovie ’08: Camcorder Support it would work with iMovie '08 no problem).

I think you need to determine if you plan to move into High Definition or stay with Standard Definition, as it will affect your camcorder, and potentially computer options.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A new mac is well out of the question so I think it will be safer to stick to mini dv.
If the current camcorder hadnt broken we wouldnt have swapped and it hardly gets used so that makes my decision for me.

Thanks for the help, there is would have been nothing more annoying than it not working.

Reaction score
Greetings

Just to add my pet theory to the discussion. I really like mini DV because if you get a model with 'dv in' then you can record your edited footage in all its glory back to tape for archiving. Unlike dvds, you won't accidentally use the cassette as a beer mat or as a frisbee.

You can make dvds from the edited footage at anytime in the future and you haven't clogged up your HD with lots of gigs....

End of lecture....

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We bought antoher mini dv but the camera is missing the charger so it goes back tomorrow amd hopefully gets sorted out.

I do like having the tapes as another back up but I have to admit to like the smaller size offered with the SD card.

Im not really into the editing side of things, we bought the camera a few years back and hardly used it and then we have a baby and a year in the camera breaks so its more of a get something quickly and cheaply rather than the best format plus the mac is struggling nowadays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.