Mac won't connect with my HD TV

Reaction score
I have a new 13.3" Macbook, and I also have a Samsung T200HD TV. I bought a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter in an Apple store last weekend. When I got home I tried to connect the Mac to my TV using this adapter and the VGA cable which came free with the TV.

But, when I switch to the VGA channel on the TV, only the screensaver appears on the screen, and none of the programs I have running will appear on the TV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My Mac is set to Region 1 for DVDs and I would love to watch them on the TV...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does your Mac recognize the fact that the Samsung TV is hooked up to it? Go to System Preferences, Displays; is the Samsung listed there? If it isn't, click on "detect displays". Once the Samsung is "seen", set the display preference to "mirror" rather than extend desktop. Also make sure you set the resolution correctly - it should be set to the native resolution of the Samsung.

BTW, I would have opted for a DVI or HDMI connection rather than VGA if the Samsung has those inputs available. Of course that means you would need different cables and an adapter.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks a million! When I clicked on 'Show display in menu" I was able to turn on mirroring.

Now it is working! Is there any way to stop the mac from going asleep when I shut it over? Thanks again!

T

todd51

I have never tried it but I think most people use Insomniax for doing this. However, it is third party software and is not Apple certified. I would not run CPU intensive applications with the lid closed in fear of creating too much heat.

Reaction score
Similar problem

I have a similar problem. I try to connect my MacBookPro (through mini display port to DVI-D) to t200HD but without success on native resolution 1680x1050 (refresh rate 60 Hz). If I change resolution to 1280x1024 and put refresh rate to 75 Hz my MacBook is connected to t200HD.
Any idea about this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.