• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why I'm not happy with my new gaming rig...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
I've been noticing a lot of threads like that lately.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What are the specs? Are the fans loud?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's amazing how much heat these high-end components throw out. My "office" used to be a relatively small 14x14 bedroom (before I had my second child, now my "office" is the basement ;) ). I remember playing HL2 on my old P4 gaming rig with a single 9800 PRO card. The room would heat up 8-10 degrees with the door closed - and that was 5 years ago. I've heard that performance per watt used has improved with the latest generation of CPU/GPUs, but apparently not that much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It's amazing how much heat these high-end components throw out. My "office" used to be a relatively small 14x14 bedroom (before I had my second child, now my "office" is the basement ;) ). I remember playing HL2 on my old P4 gaming rig with a single 9800 PRO card. The room would heat up 8-10 degrees with the door closed - and that was 5 years ago. I've heard that performance per watt used has improved with the latest generation of CPU/GPUs, but apparently not that much!

Got a small room. Bed, dresser, computer desk, night stand, and me are about the only things that can fit in it. There's enough room for females though.

So how come I started the thread and it has some one apparently posting before me?

Edit: Perry is the man.

What are the specs? Are the fans loud?

i7 920
1.8GB Nvidia 295 GTX

Mainly it's the GPU. It almost didn't fit in the case. I can't wait until it's snowing and I'm sleeping with the window open and keeping my room warm from the computer.

Loudest part is the DVD drive.

Reaction score
I've never been crazy about those giant video cards. I typically stay in the "smaller form factor, cooler running, lower power" side of things. My current card is an old 8800GT that is cooled basically passive with an Accelero S1 R2 with the optional fan unit that barely spins. It's showing it's age a little, but the games I tend to play don't demand quite so much juice. If I do upgrade, it might be to a GTS 250, though the increase in performance is fairly marginal. Supposedly the Accelero S1 R2 will work with that card as well.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Got a small room. Bed, dresser, computer desk, night stand, and me are about the only things that can fit in it. There's enough room for females though.

So how come I started the thread and it has some one apparently posting before me?

It's a forum bug we keep seeing pop-up from time to time. We've alerted iNet.

Gotta love Agent P :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

i7 920
1.8GB Nvidia 295 GTX

Mainly it's the GPU. It almost didn't fit in the case. I can't wait until it's snowing and I'm sleeping with the window open and keeping my room warm from the computer.

Loudest part is the DVD drive.

Have you looked into water cooling for the GPU, and system in general?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I built my dream rig a little while back.....it does run a little on the warm side for an Intel based system but that's due to the SLI config of my video cards....they do run hot as well as the processor because I overclocked the CPU and the cards.....goes like stink no doubt but can keep my apartment toasty in the winter months.....

Remember, desktop PC's aren't like a Mac when you deck them out with the bells and whistles to go really fast and do things that ordinary systems cannot do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I've never been crazy about those giant video cards. I typically stay in the "smaller form factor, cooler running, lower power" side of things. My current card is an old 8800GT that is cooled basically passive with an Accelero S1 R2 with the optional fan unit that barely spins. It's showing it's age a little, but the games I tend to play don't demand quite so much juice. If I do upgrade, it might be to a GTS 250, though the increase in performance is fairly marginal. Supposedly the Accelero S1 R2 will work with that card as well.

I was running Crysis at 2560x1600 resolution on a 30" monitor. Had to turn the graphics down a bit. So far everything else like Left 4 Dead and Daw of War II have been at 2560x1600 and maxed out graphics and AA options with no slow down.

Have you looked into water cooling for the GPU, and system in general?

Not yet. The new tower I want is setup for watercooling and that's when I'm going to start playing with OC'ing.

I built my dream rig a little while back.....it does run a little on the warm side for an Intel based system but that's due to the SLI config of my video cards....they do run hot as well as the processor because I overclocked the CPU and the cards.....goes like stink no doubt but can keep my apartment toasty in the winter months.....

Remember, desktop PC's aren't like a Mac when you deck them out with the bells and whistles to go really fast and do things that ordinary systems cannot do.

I know, it runs so much cooler than my notebook. :D

At least the computer is right next to an AC register, so my left leg stays cold.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This might be another reason I like my MBP. I can sit in the LR in my recliner instead of the office that was always 15 degrees warmer than any other room in the house. Although, shutting down a couple of the 4 PC's I had in there or the Sat receiver or the Xbox might have helped some.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.