• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Poor quality video IMovie 08 with miniDV

Reaction score
I imported video using Firewire to my 2008 Imac, from a miniDV camcorder. No matter what resolution I choose to export the video, the quality is very grainy. I also can't understand how a 5 minute video can take 1G on a DVD when I can watch hours of store bought DVD movies with much clearer pictures?

Is there any chance to make decent movie clips (I mean TV viewing quality) on my Imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Have you checked the source footage to make sure the quality is there?

What settings are you using in iMovie? Are you set for 4:3, 3:2, 16:9? When you export, what are you selecting from the Share menu? When you have that selection - what settings have you selected? Have you checked the output file before sending it to iDVD (or any other authoring program) for quality?

It honestly sounds like you have something mucked up. There is a lot of info you haven't provided that would help out. Also know that storebought DVD's have significantly higher video quality to start with then what a home camcorder cam produce, and the people who make those dvds are experts at tweaking compression to get the best possible quality on a dvd.

OP
S
Reaction score
problem seems to be during import

Well the original quality wasn't "perfect" because it was a film I recorded in a Comedy Club; however, with Imovie set to 16:9 or 4:3 it has more grainyness (is that a word?) than if I show it from the camera onto the TV.

Even before I export the file to anything. When I exported, I tried to "export movie - large" and also using "Export using Quicktime" movie to Quicktime, and movie to MPEG-4, as high of resolution as I could each time.

Using all the export methods, the only one that actually played, without crashing a Windows computer, was the "Export Movie - large".

So, all that said; it seems like my problem originates before exporting because it doesn't look so good when just playing the project full screen in Imovie. Is there a better way to import the video than FireWire? Could that be part of the issue?

Thanks for all your time,

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well the original quality wasn't "perfect" because it was a film I recorded in a Comedy Club; however, with Imovie set to 16:9 or 4:3 it has more grainyness (is that a word?) than if I show it from the camera onto the TV.

Ok - don't gauge the quality of the video by what you see on the tv to compare it to the computer screen - the video will rarely look identical and many times a poor quality video will look better on TV then it will captured into a computer. Grain can sometimes be made worse by digitization depending on the codec/bitrate used when storing the video (iMovie '08 though I believe imports and edits native DV so that is somewhat irrelevant - someone who might know more about iMovie '08 can step in and correct me if I'm wrong tho - I really primarily use FCP and FCE)

Even before I export the file to anything. When I exported, I tried to "export movie - large" and also using "Export using Quicktime" movie to Quicktime, and movie to MPEG-4, as high of resolution as I could each time.

Using all the export methods, the only one that actually played, without crashing a Windows computer, was the "Export Movie - large".

If you're exporting movie using Quicktime conversion, and you selected MP4 - did you customize it at all, or just do the default export? If you just did the default export, it's going to suck no ifs, ands or buts about it.

for MP4 make sure:

When you press Options, on that screen:

File format is MP4 (not MP4 ISMA)
you can try MP4 basic or improved - personally I prefer H.264
Data Rate w/ SD footage try numbers between 500 and 1200 kbps (higher end will be better picture, you can go lower, but image quality at 500 will already probably be pretty blocky)
Image Size : Set to the size of the master footage - if it's from a DV camera recording in SD, select 768x576. Smaller might make the picture look better due to the smaller image, but if there is a lot of nasty grain in the footage to start with it may just accentuate it - you can experiment. DO NOT UPSCALE. Upscaling poor video will result in crappy large video
Frame Rate : This will default to 30. You can usually just select Current from the dropdown and be safe (there are a few times this may not work, checking the output will confirm if it worked correctly (ie: speed toward the end and make sure the audio is in sync with the picture)
Key Frames : I tend to set at 1/2 the frame rate. I had read somewhere once that had recommended it, I can't remember why it suggested it, but that's what I've used. So for SD video, set the frame rate to 15 (~1/2 of 29.97 which is the standard frame rate of NTSC video, if you're in PAL country, do 1/2 of the pal rate which is what? 25fps? so you'd select 12 or 13)

In the Video Options, default is single pass - if you just want to check your settings, do single pass for a quick output. If you want a higher quality file, do Multipass.

In the Audio tab, you can set your audio bit rate between 160 and 256kbps and set for best quality (lower bit rate = smaller file, lower audio quality) Test different bit rates to find a good compromise for you with regard to quality loss vs file size. I don't like loosing quality, so I tend to have higher bitrates.

In terms of playback on a pc:

The only ways to play back on a pc are:

1) Save the file as an AVI so media player will play it
2) Make sure the end user has KLite or CCC codec packs installed to properly play other codecs.
3) Make sure they have Quicktime installed that is 7.1 or higher to be able to play the files correctly.

So, all that said; it seems like my problem originates before exporting because it doesn't look so good when just playing the project full screen in Imovie. Is there a better way to import the video than FireWire? Could that be part of the issue?

No, there is no better way to capture footage from a miniDV camera. By capturing via firewire, you are transferring the raw digital data from what is on the cassette to the computer. Any other way would require a digital->analog->digital conversion which will make poor quality video look even worse as it's being decompressed and then re-compressed.

Remember - any time you take video and convert it to another format, there will be re-compression, which means a potential loss of quality. The poorer the source footage is, the worse it can look. To compensate all you can do is try to increase the bitrate on the output file to reduce artifacts from re-compression, but it will never look as good as the original (although sometimes it may be hard to tell by the naked eye).

It honestly sounds like you've got some rough video that due to the resolution of your screen, the grain is very obvious. But I'd try outputting to mp4 with appropriate settings (not ISMA, proper resolution and decent bit rate) and see what happens if you haven't already tried it. You should be able to get close to what the playback window looks like on iMovie - if the source video looks like crap tho, it'll look like crap on the output.

Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You may want to check out this discussion on the Apple forums. I'm not saying that is your problem. If you think it is, report a bug to Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.