Mac to Windows switch: spyware and system restore

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What is the credited anti-spyware program for Mac? I am looking for a FREE program first!

2. I am getting the 500GB time capsule (which has now been discontinued...) so I'll back up my files, but if I ever need to do a system restore to an earlier date (which Windows can do) how is this done on a Mac?

Thanks. I have a MBP 13".

OP
M
Reaction score
for what it's worth, I already looked at other threads but they were all specific to anti-VIRUS, not spyware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
1. Aside from anti-virus, I don't think any "credible" anti-spyware program specifically made for Mac exists. It's not needed, either. Welcome to Macs! ;)

2. Time Capsule doesn't really run on the "system restore" that Windows does. In Windows' (somewhat convoluted) System Restore, system preference, installed applications, etc are restored, and not any files. With Time Capsule, one can either restore their files/folders/applications OR perform a complete restore of the above when re-installing OS X. With OS X's architecture and design, if you will, a Windows-style "system restore" would be unnecessary, aside from files/folders/applications. See here as well.

Hope that helped/made sense. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
No anti-virus or anti-spyware is required for OS X.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. OS X is free as it comes pre-installed on all new Macs. It also requires no additional system resources. There is no spyware, malware or viruses in the wild that will run in OS X. There are a few Trojans now. If you stay away from downloading pirated software and "missing video codecs" from pron sites, you'll not need to worry about those either.

2. How to Use Time Machine on a Mac Leopard 10.5: 8 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow
Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
Mac 101: Time Machine

There is no registry to get corrupted/bloated. Most applications do not spread themselves all around the system folders as they do in Windows. The need to do a "system restore" or re-install of OS X is extrememly rare.

Other popular backup applications are SuperDuper! and CarbonCopyCloner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.