iPhoto Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I've always stored the pictures on my computer in folders because I like to keep things organized. The problem is, I've come to want more from my pictures. I want to be able to view them without having to navigate through subfolders and the ability to edit the odd pic would be wonderful.

I desperately want to use iPhoto as I often use iMovie and I like the ability to share photos among the different programs. I also just like the interface and how it works.

What I don't like however (and may not be able to get past) is how iPhoto stores your photos in it's library. To me, it's simply unacceptable. I mean, what happens if I want to view my pictures on a Windows PC or my Xbox 360? Also, what happens if I want to develop some pictures or upload them to flickr? I'd have to search through all the crazy iPhoto folders! I just think that the way iPhoto stores pictures would make things difficult.

Now I know you can turn this feature off and tell iPhoto to "not store copies of each photo in the library", but that presents another issue - folder monitoring. Let's say I keep my folders intact and point iPhoto there. That's all fine but I have to run a manual import into iPhoto everytime because it doesn't know enough to update itself. I suppose the program "Hazel" could help me here but I'm not completely sold.

Am I missing something that could make my life easier, or should I just use Picasa?

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You should just use iPhoto and get past the windows way of organizing! Using iPhoto is so simple, and it organizes your photos beautifully. Just stay out of the library in finder and you will be fine. Use keywords when you import and you will immediately be able to find any picture you want. Using smart albums, etc. is another good way to organize easily. If you want to upload to flickr or something (and if there is not an uploader available for iPhoto -- in most cases there is one), just drag the photo to the desktop and upload from there. Could not be more simple.

Using Folders and albums is yet another way to easily organize. A folder for "Vacations", then albums for "Spring 2009", "San Francisco 2008" or whatever will allow you to readily find your photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You don't need to go through the folder hierarchy to access your photos. Simply select the photos you wish to use at that particular moment and drag them out of iPhoto onto your desktop (or anywhere else) and then you can do with them as you please without affecting the originals. This is great for when you need to upload or share a few pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Also, for instance, when choosing images to upload on say, Flickr, when Safari's "Open" dialog box comes up, look for the "MEDIA" item on the left side of the window at the bottom. Click the disclosure arrow and it should show "Photos" Select that and you'll have the option of browsing iPhoto and Photo Booth. In the case of iPhoto, you can go through by Events and Photos or any other albums you have. Pretty sweet, and I just found out about it yesterday.

Can't help with that other stuff though, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
I agree with Grudge ... I, too, hate iPhoto. I switched to Mac 2 months ago and I tried patiently with iPhoto. I love all the other applications on my Mac but iPhoto gets on my nerves. I have over 100Gb of photos stored on my HD. Properly arranged in folders by date. Now I just tried moving some of those folders to iPhoto and all my structure was lost. iPhoto arranged those photo I dont know in what way but the whole thing is in one library? I didnt want to move them any more. I am installing Picasa 3 today ... at least I can have my folder structure intact ...

OP
The_Grudge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I thought I'd update this post after switching to iPhoto back in August of this year.

It's been great. I don't have to worry about making folders/subfolders for everything. I just import into iPhoto and let it handle things. Of course I can rename and merge events after the fact as well.

It's so much better (in my opinion) than my old method which was using Image Capture to import to folders.

I really like the "faces" and mapping features as well.

No complaints from this guy so far...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
The good thing about using iPhoto is that I don't have to worry anymore about folder structures and sorting and all that manual stuff.

I let the iPhoto do the work for me and it nicely manages more than 20000 photo's in over 300 events.

Smartalbums, faces and places are turning my photo collection into a beautifull memory and I can slice and dice my collection anyway I want.

Also no fuss with installing and keeping non-apple apps. up to date :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I agree with Grudge ... I, too, hate iPhoto. I switched to Mac 2 months ago and I tried patiently with iPhoto. I love all the other applications on my Mac but iPhoto gets on my nerves. I have over 100Gb of photos stored on my HD. Properly arranged in folders by date. Now I just tried moving some of those folders to iPhoto and all my structure was lost. iPhoto arranged those photo I dont know in what way but the whole thing is in one library? I didnt want to move them any more. I am installing Picasa 3 today ... at least I can have my folder structure intact ...

I'm wondering how you imported them. I too had thousands of photos neatly stored in folders. Selecting the folders and dragging them into iPhoto resulted in an Event for each folder, named with the folder name. Perhaps you need to look at your preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Yes, you need to move those folders folder by folder if you want to keep the structure. Time consuming, I know, but easier and quicker than re-doing your organization.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Yes, you need to move those folders folder by folder if you want to keep the structure. Time consuming, I know, but easier and quicker than re-doing your organization.

Not true - I highlighted all the folders in one go and iPhoto put each folder into it's own event with the folder name as the event name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
I'm in agreement with The_Grudge. This iPhoto structure is not for me either. I'm a switcher and am used to going to the folder where I downloaded/saved the picture. I don't see the convenience in find the picture somewhere on the folders that were made for me by iPhoto, then copying to the desktop. Seems more time consuming. Plus I can't right click to resize like what I had with Windows PowerToys. I miss that, but love everything else about my new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.