USB drive hanging after sleep

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a usb drive plugged into my mac mini, which works fine. However, when I wake the mac from sleep mode, the USB drive becomes unavailable and locks up & freezes certain functions on the mac (e.g., reboot or start front row).

Does anyone know how I can get the usb drive to continue as normal after the mac wakes from sleep mode.

btw - If I unplug the usb drive and re-connect then all is well, but that's not really the way.

Thanks very much

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would suggest visiting the drive manufacturers site - read through their faq's and e-mailing their tech support.

All external drives / enclosures are not created equal.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Bob,

Will give that a try.

Didn't Occour to me that it may be a issue with the drive.

Cheers

Tahir

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
I permanently have a external plugged in and have never had any problems with USB peripherals before. Possibly look into the format of the thumb drive, or have you considered reformatting it with Disc Utility!?

OP
T
Reaction score
It's a toughdrive formatted as NTFS, as I use it on both my pc and my mac.

I will copy the data off and try re-formatting to see what happens then

Thanks

Tahir.

OP
T
Reaction score
Problem Solved

For anyone searching .. Reformatted the drive from NTFS to MAC OS Extended Journaled, and not problem recovering from sleep mode.

Easy when you know I guess !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.