• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Using a camcorder with my new Mac

Reaction score
I have a Sony Handycam HC24e, which I was using with my pc until now. When I plugged it into our brand new iMac and switched it on, the Mac doesn't recognise anything as having been attached by USB. The installation disc that comes with the handycam says compatible with Mac OS, and there's a folder on the disc titled Mac. When I try to open that on the Imac, it just comes out as a page of random text.
Sony were totally unhelpful and seemed to imply the Handycam was NOT Mac compatible, which I find hard to believe. Any ideas out there? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)
Open iMovie and click the camcorder button (The first button on the gray bar that runs across the middle of the program). Can you see your video clips in there?

OP
S
Reaction score
no, it automatically goes to the built-in camera. There's no option for my camcorder in the drop-down menu - it only lists the built-in iSite. The camcorder's on and the USB stream mode switched on too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
The camcorder's on and the USB stream mode switched on too...

Have you tried it with the USB stream mode turned off? To me that sounds as though its meant to send whatever the camera is seeing through the USB cable and use your computer as a display. You know, kind of like a web cam, a really expensive web cam.

I'm not sure about your particular model, but mine, a Sony HDR12, has a menu that pops up when I plug it into my Mac, I just tap on USB HD Connect and I'm on my way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Mine doesn't work at all with Firewire even though it should. Looks like something similar to his problem!

OP
S
Reaction score
no, doesn't work with streaming on or off, the Mac just doesn't acknowledge that the handycam's connected. Anyone know of a Mac driver for Sony handycams? I'm using a USB cable, not Firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
no, doesn't work with streaming on or off, the Mac just doesn't acknowledge that the handycam's connected. Anyone know of a Mac driver for Sony handycams? I'm using a USB cable, not Firewire

I just looked your camera up on the Google, it appears that it is a miniDV camera. I'm guessing that it uses those little digital tapes, right? In my experience, you would need to use a firewire cable to capture this on a Mac.

Anyway, I think this is your problem. Firewire should allow you to capture your video in iMovie '09. You won't need any drivers.

Check out this link from Apple's site.

You'll typically need a cable that is 4 pin on one end and 6 pin on the other.

This is the cable you want, but shop around, you can probably find a better price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Just to note; Firewire in Sony terms is called i.Link. The specs for that camera says it has an i.Link output.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.