Safari not offering to save passwords

Reaction score
Isn't that what keychain is for ? Safari doesn't seem to offer to save passwords - this site being a prime example. If I have moved away from this tab for some time and come back I have to type my password in manually - surely safari should offer to save this and auto complete in future should it not ? have I missed a setting somewhere ?

thanks guys

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open Preferences from the Safari menu next to the Apple. Click on the Auto Fill tab. Be sure all of those options are checked. If that is not the issue let us know.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
J
Reaction score
username and passwords was not ticked. will report back if still not working. Thanks ever so much and especially for the promptness of reply. I like this forum :D

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my toll road EZpass account. I have all the autofill options checked. Most of my logins autofill OK, but not EZpass. The website asks for my account number and PIN. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
KeyChain will not usually save Secure logon account numbers and PINs.
Bank accounts come to mind.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
KeyChain will not usually save Secure logon account numbers and PINs.
Bank accounts come to mind.

Yep, for those type of things you may need to spring for 1Password.
They have a 30 day free trial so you can check it out.
(And I refused to spring for it for 2 years.)

Reaction score
Personally, I like entering passwords manually. Sometimes I forget them. I get very frustrated when that happens.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, I like entering passwords manually. Sometimes I forget them. I get very frustrated when that happens.

I did that for 2 years with my Mac after using Roboform on my PC's for many years. Using the Secure Notes in Keychain for all your password storage is a great feature. They are locked away and require your password for access but still all available and safe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I did that for 2 years with my Mac after using Roboform on my PC's for many years. Using the Secure Notes in Keychain for all your password storage is a great feature. They are locked away and require your password for access but still all available and safe.

I'm still using a little black book. Maybe I'm showing my age. :) I'll have to take a look at Keychain. Thanks.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still using a little black book. Maybe I'm showing my age. :) I'll have to take a look at Keychain. Thanks.

Regards.

Black book - I always used scraps of paper and had a file full of them, then had to go digging through them all to find that one I hadn't used in 2 years. What a pita.

Secure Notes makes it pretty simple. Keep the Keychain icon on the menu bar and open it up any time I'm signing up at a new place and actually create my user name and password in the note, then copy and paste from there to the sign up forms to make sure my note is correct.

This way I can keep track of what info I've provided and to who. Like whether a site has my real name/age or a fake one, etc... Also keep a copy of any software activation codes I've gotten in them and a bunch of other stuff. Took awhile to get everything transferred into it, but it was so worthwhile. I still create them there even though I have 1Password.

Not sure how it'll go with SL yet, but even copied my Tiger login keychain to my fresh install of Leopard and kept going without missing a beat.

Anyone that's got the quantity of passwords I have and finally picked up the habit of not using the same password anywhere, you best be making a backup using this system or you're up the creek 'when' your drive fails.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.