Canon T1i and a lens or The High end 15' Mac book pro?

SCV

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forums, I would like to ask you for your opinions recently I acquired a job at Future Shop ( Same as best buy, just located in Canada) I've recently grown a love for the Mac book pro 15' but I also love to take pictures and edit them in photoshop, I've wanted a DSLR for awhile now but now I'm stumped as if I should save my Money for the Canon T1i and a lens or The High end 15' Mac book pro.

Right now I'm using a 14.1 inch HP from 2 years ago and its not dieing and its been better since I've been using Windows 7. But when I'm editing pictures it bogs down a lot. So I don't know what to do. What would you guys do ?

Thank you for your opinion.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LoL it's kind of funny because I'm also in somewhat the same boat as you are. I'm also on the market for a DSLR and choosing between upgrading my White MB to either a 13" or 15" MBP. Luckily for me I get a 15% discount if I do buy a Mac.

I would get the MBP if I were you. Especially if you edit lots of photographs. It's more enjoyable when your machine is fast and does what you want it to do.

OP
S

SCV

Reaction score
Yea I was thinking That, Well I get the student discount i wish i got 15% how do you get 15% and i can get the macs for the price they sell them to Futureshop. :) But thats the same for the cameras.

I'm still stumped as of what to do Both of them are calling me and I recently just fell in love with the Macs. Like I like the operating systems but i like Windows, Linux and OSX so i think ill be running boot camp with Windows 7 on the mac and using my HP just for linux.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you opt for the camera - you might want to read a bunch of reviews for the T1i and the XSi. I ended up with the XSi just recently after starting out looking at the T1i and 50D. The T1i wins if you can afford the better glass to go along with it.

OP
S

SCV

Reaction score
Yea and then I'm confused as if i do that maybe should i go with a nikon d60 :s so many different questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD
Nikkon is supposedly releasing the d300 and 3000 in a few weeks too, in case you didn't know or were interested.

But to be honest I would probably buy the camera first. From what it sounds like you want the mac mostly to edit photos. No point in being able to edit photos if you can't take them. I'd get the camera first, and maybe a bit more ram to throw in the HP. Use the HP for a few more months until you can save up for a new MBP. Just my .02, but if I were in your situation, I'd get the camera first because you already have a computer. It may not be the best, but at least it works pretty well. Plus if you wait it out until a little, there will probably be some kind of upgrades to the MBP's, and you could get something even better, or get a refurbed current model for cheaper.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yea I was thinking That, Well I get the student discount i wish i got 15% how do you get 15% and i can get the macs for the price they sell them to Futureshop. :) But thats the same for the cameras.

I'm still stumped as of what to do Both of them are calling me and I recently just fell in love with the Macs. Like I like the operating systems but i like Windows, Linux and OSX so i think ill be running boot camp with Windows 7 on the mac and using my HP just for linux.

Friends that work at the apple store. ^-^"

OP
S

SCV

Reaction score
Nikkon is supposedly releasing the d300 and 3000 in a few weeks too, in case you didn't know or were interested.

But to be honest I would probably buy the camera first. From what it sounds like you want the mac mostly to edit photos. No point in being able to edit photos if you can't take them. I'd get the camera first, and maybe a bit more ram to throw in the HP. Use the HP for a few more months until you can save up for a new MBP. Just my .02, but if I were in your situation, I'd get the camera first because you already have a computer. It may not be the best, but at least it works pretty well. Plus if you wait it out until a little, there will probably be some kind of upgrades to the MBP's, and you could get something even better, or get a refurbed current model for cheaper.

Aren't the D300 and D3000 already out isn't the D3000 the one wiht the swivel screen and takes 720p video at 24fps ?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Lol we dont even have an apple store where i love my best bet would be to cross the border and go to one in detroit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.