PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a good set of speakers ?

dave95sps
07-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Hello everyone,

New to the "MAC world", or I should say I have come full circle and now back home. I had one of the early MAC's (before internet) then went to PC because I could bring work home on floppy discs. Now, the MAC's seem to be able to do it all.

I am looking to purchase a good set of computer speakers to play with iTunes (primarily), with a good balance of bass, mids, and highs. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

chscag
07-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Here's a review of some high quality speakers (http://www.consumersearch.com/computer-speakers) you may be interested in.

Regards.

dave95sps
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Thank you for the link chscag.

Springy
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
It depends on how much you are willing to spend. I have Bose Companion 3's on my iMac (It's a 2.1 system) and paid about £200 for them.

Worth every penny in my opinion - they sound fantastic and for something so small it still amazes me every time I hear them.

JohnCL
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I have these (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=us,en) and have loved every minute of them.

Nethfel
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I have : http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en m

myself, and I love them. Only speakers I could find that didn't require a dedicated receiver to be able to connect to my mac optically (on the iMac, you'll need a mini optical to toslink adapter which can be obtained here: Amazon.com: Toslink To Optical Mini Adapter: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-To-Optical-Mini-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1248820725&sr=8-2) ) .

dave95sps
08-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone,
I didn't want to order a set of speakers without first listening to them, preferably in comparison to other sets. In the area I live, there wasn't much opportunity to do that. Best Buy had a few speakers on display, but none of those mentioned above (except for Bose). I wanted to try some of the Logitechs out, but was unable to find the models mentioned in this forum.

After reading reviews on Bose Companion 3 and 5 series, I went to our local Bose store to try them out. I was able to try them by plugging in my iPod, side by side. The Companion 5 would be better for listening to movies or gaming. But for mostly music, the Companion 3, series II was better IMHO, especially with mid and treble range. Plus, they were on sale, at $25 off (I'm an easy target for sales). So I came home with the Companion 3's. I think they will be fine in the small living room here at the house. The music sounds just as good here as it did in the Bose store. I like the small size on the desk, the acoustimass is compact and sounds balanced to the set. The one thing I do not like is the location of the power on/off switch - on the acoustimass module. In fact, the bass level adjustment is also on the acoustimass. The problem is, the acoustimass is on the floor under my desk and hard to get at. So, in all likelihood, I will keep the power on and leave the bass level alone.

Thanks for your help !
Dave

Springy
08-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone,
I didn't want to order a set of speakers without first listening to them, preferably in comparison to other sets. In the area I live, there wasn't much opportunity to do that. Best Buy had a few speakers on display, but none of those mentioned above (except for Bose). I wanted to try some of the Logitechs out, but was unable to find the models mentioned in this forum.

After reading reviews on Bose Companion 3 and 5 series, I went to our local Bose store to try them out. I was able to try them by plugging in my iPod, side by side. The Companion 5 would be better for listening to movies or gaming. But for mostly music, the Companion 3, series II was better IMHO, especially with mid and treble range. Plus, they were on sale, at $25 off (I'm an easy target for sales). So I came home with the Companion 3's. I think they will be fine in the small living room here at the house. The music sounds just as good here as it did in the Bose store. I like the small size on the desk, the acoustimass is compact and sounds balanced to the set. The one thing I do not like is the location of the power on/off switch - on the acoustimass module. In fact, the bass level adjustment is also on the acoustimass. The problem is, the acoustimass is on the floor under my desk and hard to get at. So, in all likelihood, I will keep the power on and leave the bass level alone.

Thanks for your help !
Dave

That's what I do. Once you find a bass level to suit you just leave it alone and turned on. You can put the speakers in and out of standby with the volume control unit.

Good purchase - you will not be disappointed!

Rimmer
08-03-2009, 05:15 AM
AE Aego's. (http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp)

These were selling for 99 in the Uk (not sure of the price now) and are better than many of the 250 setups I tried. I still can't figure out why they are so cheap. Amazing sound, loud when you want them to be. VERY well made (metal and heavy little speakers). Decent leads etc etc.. I have two sets in my house. A totally worth purchase..

Rimmer

Mac_Daddy
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I bought a set of Logitech Z4's and I'm still in shock. It's still hard to believe that a set of 70 dollar speakers could sound so good.

Read the reviews and you'll see what I mean.

richsadams
10-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I bought a set of Logitech Z4's and I'm still in shock. It's still hard to believe that a set of 70 dollar speakers could sound so good.

Read the reviews and you'll see what I mean.+1. The Logitech Z-4 system is hard to beat for the price. The desktop speakers look/sound excellent on either side of my iMac and sub under my desk does a great job too.