• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Macbook connectivity to Samsung p2370

Reaction score
Any help with this would be gratefully received.

I currently own a macbook and imac (both polycarbonate models) and have recently had issues with a green vertical line of dead pixels down the middle of the i mac screen. I went to an apple store to be told that my best option would be to buy another monitor.

After getting over the initial shock of this green line dilemna i have decided to buy the samsung p2370 which i plan to connect to the macbook. I understand that I will need a mini dvi to dvi and then a futher dvi-d to dvi-i cable to connect it all up. I was wondering whether there would be any delay from the sound coming out of the mac to the picture displayed on the monitor (i would be using the monitor primarily for watching films etc). I know the monitor has a 2ms respose rate but i wasn't sure whether this meant that it worked instantaneously and would work in conjunction with the sound coming through speakers plugged into the macbook.

Could you confirm that what i have said about the cables is true and answer the question about the sound / picture issue. If there is any further advice about fixing the green line that i have not heard of that would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There shouldn't be any delay. The response rate (2ms in that case) is referring to either going from gray to gray or black to black (see this article: Response Time Explained - TopTenREVIEWS for a deeper explanation of response time) - really that low of a response time is really only going to affect gaming. Gamers want the lowest response time possible to reduce/prevent ghosting.

I have my macbook unibody hooked to a really crummy 19" dell display, I have edited video with it, and there is no delay sound and picture (and my speakers are even tied into the macbook via a KVM switch, the monitor is plugged direct tho to the dvi->minidisplay port.)

The green line - well, sounds like either a video card issue (means it would display still on an external) or the LCD is failing (means the green line wouldn't display on the external) If it were me, with the iMac, I'd probably get the damaged part replaced, I wouldn't want two screens on my desktop unless I can use them as a dual monitor display - but that is just me.

Just so you know - I don't have multiple connectors between my screen and my laptop - just the minidisplay -> dvi and then the cable going to my screen. But even with an extra converter in place, I doubt you would experience any audio/picture lag unless you're sitting with a 20ft or greater dvi cable to connect everything ;).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.