Rotten Apple

Reaction score
After using PCs for years I finally gave into the hype and purchased a MacBook Pro (well, I loved my iphone so it seemed the obvious next step). I had heard about the reliability of Macs so i was disappointed when i had to return it to Apple because the screen flickered and the brightness control stopped working after a few days. This is now fixed but since it has been returned the keyboard lighting has never worked - it worked fine before Apple "fixed " my laptop. its not a problem with ambient light and the little gizmo (labtic) I downloaded has made no difference. What should I do? Should I get this fixed too or do without this nice facility. Or is this a sign that I have bought a lemon or should I say a rotten Apple) and try to get Apple to replace the laptop? Or should I try to get my money back and buy a PC? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Take it back and get it replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
First I would check the System Preferences->Keyboard&Mouse and make sure the

'Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions'

check box is enabled. Even try toggling this a few times and move into different lighting conditions just to make absolutely sure this is not functioning.

Also, you could try resetting the PRAM and doing the above as well. If all this fails yes, I would return it and get a replacement Mac. Whether or not to get a PC is up to you, but a return is definitely order as you should not have to live without this feature.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's a new machine, it should function perfectly without the need for any third party utilities. If it's not working properly, Apple should have no problem correcting it. Get it looked at, it's that simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
First I would check the System Preferences->Keyboard&Mouse and make sure the

'Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions'

check box is enabled. Even try toggling this a few times and move into different lighting conditions just to make absolutely sure this is not functioning.

Also, you could try resetting the PRAM and doing the above as well. If all this fails yes, I would return it and get a replacement Mac. Whether or not to get a PC is up to you, but a return is definitely order as you should not have to live without this feature.

agree with the last point. you should not have to live without this feature. try the mentioned steps above, if they dont work, take it back, and get it repaired or even better, replaced. and enjoy your new working mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Like every product, some Macs are defective. My experience is that it is very few, but it does happen. Have Apple replace it. A properly working Mac is a joy to behold and use, and the chances are very good that it will stay working properly as long as you own it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro 15 in. 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4g ram DDR3 and 320gig HDD
Apple has OUTSTANDING service. I wouldn't have any doubts that they wouldn't let you trade that computer in for a new one.

They let me do that before.

-Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I can vouch for Apple service. Impeccable.

I bought a Whitebook. I decided that it wasnt for me, but I overran my 14 day money back option by quite a lot. I called Apple who said that if I really didnt want it then they would refund me full! [which they did].

I was straight to my local Apple shop and bought a MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.