• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I copy .avi to DVD?

Reaction score
HI Folks,

I want to copy an .avi to a blank DVD. How do I do this? I don't want to make a DVD of the .avi movie, rather copy the actual .avi to a blank disk to allow a friend copy the .avi onto their machine.

Made a DVD of the .avi and it's a bit glitchy so I just want them to have the original .avi which plays fine.

Many thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
For what you want, you simply need to create a burn folder in OSX, copy the .AVI file and then do a burn. Since your not converting the .avi, it's just a simple file at this point and no other steps beyond burning a data DVD should be required.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you are using a burning program like burn or toast, just be sure it's a Data DVD and not a Video DVD. Like the way you make a DVD of files from your hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.