Multiple folders and auto arranging

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently got a new MacBook and love it to bits, couple of issues that are really bugging me that I can't find the answers to anywhere.
  1. Can you open a folder in a folder so that when I drill down to the folder I want I don't have 15 behind it I have to close one by one.
  2. Can the opening of a folder have a default set-up of auto arrange by name or do you have to resize and selct arrange by name every time?
  3. Why did I not discover the Mac years back to save the hassle of windows?

Hope someone can help, at least with the first two questions.
Martyn

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. You don't need to close all those folders at all. Couple of options:
a. Use a view other than column view.
b. Even when using column view, there is no reason to back up through those folders, just click on an item in the sidebar.

2. To set the default view of a folder - while there, go to View - Show View Options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I think he is using the old style of folders, like in classic Mac OS, where every time you open a folder it pops open a new window.

Open a Finder window, and on the right top corner you should see a small elongated button. Click this, and you should get a window with a sidebar and icons on top. Navigating using this view allows you to keep all your folders opening inside one window.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi there,

Thanks to you both they solved my challenge perfectly. . . . thank's for such speedy replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.