Which IM client do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Most people today use IM and most use multiple clients. Which client is the main one you use?

K

Kokopelli

I mostly use Adium, sometimes iChat. I would like to use Proteus but SameTime is broken on it and I need that for my work.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sametime is fixed in the latest beta. You can get it in the forums:

defaultware/forums/index.php?showtopic=7162 (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I use adium and bring up iChat when I need to use my iSight

K

Kokopelli

schweb said:
Sametime is fixed in the latest beta. You can get it in the forums:

defaultware/forums/index.php?showtopic=7162 (outdated link removed)

Cool I'll give it a try Monday.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm currently using iChat and Adium, but I use to use Proteus. Now, after trying out Adium, I think that I still like Proteus better. I like the look and the sound effects. Sound effects? Yep, oddly enough, I like it for its sound effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I use ichat a tiny bit more than adium, cause I do lots of file transfers, if adium could do xfers, Id stick with just adium.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I mainly use Proteus and when I want to vid chat I pull up iChat. I rarely every file transfer so that's not an issue for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I had aim on the pc, so I use iChat and I'm extremely happy with it

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I am just going to chat with AIM buddies, I prefer IChat. Some of my close friends and I send pictures since we live in different states. Ichat handles that better than anything else I have used.

If I have to also use Yahoo and ICQ then I fire up Adium. I like Proteus also but Adium is free and works great as a multi chat client.

K

kiwimac

Adium is the main one I use, one window with tabs for all my chats - can't beat it, but if I want to audio chat I use ichat or skype to chat to friends who have pc's

S

Sunshine_Mac

I feel a bit stupid here, I've never heard of half of these lol. I've always used yahoo, I tried icq and msn but neither of them support a cam so I binned them lol. Just heard about skype last week too but my OS isn't right for that, ah well worse things could happen:))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I use Adium because I just can't see anything in Proteus that I like better, and it's free. Both of them have file transfer problems unfortunately, though, which is actually kinda important. A BIG thing in Adium I like, though, is the customizability of appearance. None of the other clients come even close. I've come to the point where I just don't think I could live without my small, transparent contact list. iChat is just so featureless, but if I need to do file transfers that's really the only option besides AIM 4.7, which is a bad port to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I like adium, as I stated above, but sooo many people come to the forum, and don't post,
they email me, pm me, or try to chat with me, I encourage them to post, its crazy in adium, the other day, I was helping a regular member with her ibook via chat in adium, all at once, 20 chat tabs spawned, people asking for help cause they saw me on this forum.
these people were fast typers too. Holy chat tabs! it was insane, I had to one by one let each one know that I was busy helping someone and if they could catch me some other time. thats another bad part about adium. I may try another multi client app soon.

Reaction score
Macman said:
I use ichat a tiny bit more than adium, cause I do lots of file transfers, if adium could do xfers, Id stick with just adium.
adium can do transfers.. just drag the file into the conversation.

And i just use adium for msn. I never used iChat ever. nobody i know uses AOL and almost everyone is on MSN. But adium and msn for mac really suck alot compared to Msn 7.0 on windows. I might buy an LCD for my old PC just for MSN ;)

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
I like adium, as I stated above, but sooo many people come to the forum, and don't post,
they email me, pm me, or try to chat with me, I encourage them to post, its crazy in adium, the other day, I was helping a regular member with her ibook via chat in adium, all at once, 20 chat tabs spawned, people asking for help cause they saw me on this forum.
these people were fast typers too. Holy chat tabs! it was insane, I had to one by one let each one know that I was busy helping someone and if they could catch me some other time. thats another bad part about adium. I may try another multi client app soon.

I'd suggest not helping them that way and instead refer them back to the forums. That way everyone can benefit from their question and the answer they receive. Doing it privately doesn't help anyone else.

J

Jefe3223

Adium's nice, but I like ichat's ablitly to save automatically to a folder. This helps me reference things I need later...but Adium is definantly cool. Transparent things are the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.