• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.avi in iMovie

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm fairly new to both Macs and iMovie. I have .avi file I want to take chunks from and put together into one continuous chunk. But since iMovie doesn't accept .avi files, I'm not sure how to do this. Is there any kind of freeware conversion software I can use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi CLM55,

Download mpegstreamclip or handbrake and convert the file. Mpegstreamclip will convert to a quicktime movie which should be directly compatible with iMovie.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Nethfel. It worked... well sorta. Unfortunately there was no audio. I looked around in the settings for Mpegstreamclip and really couldn't figure much out. I'm not sure if this is important or not but in the drop menus on the main window of the program, the only selection for "Audio PID" is 0 and there are no options for "Audio Mode." Or at least that is what I'm assuming is meant by "-" being the only item in the menu. Another thought I had was that the audio did not get lost and I just have to turn it on. I obviously checked the volume so thats not what I mean. I just mean maybe theres a way I need to make Quicktime (and iMovie) realize that the file has been converted to get the audio. Or maybe I really have no idea what is going on and I'm just rambling. Anywho, any help is greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.