PDA

View Full Version : pop up from web site says viruses detected

amandaxbandana
07-24-2009, 04:21 AM
i just got a macbook pro for school and i dont know anything about it but i got a pop up and it was to this web site, http://onlinevirusscanv9.com/1/?id=02001-30&query=c6e02119f&q=%3DDQ10jD0OIQMMI%3DO.

does anyone know if its real because i cant click on it and it showed about 16 things in the download box after it popped up and said i had a lot of viruses detected.

are they really on my computer?

louishen
07-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Its another online virus scan hoax

1. Websites cannot scan your computer for viruses.

2. Its an animation, I am willing to bet it is scanning your C drive and processing dll files, since its a dumb site that doesn't know you are running OS X

3. It will tell you you have a virus, then suggest you download their software to fix the problem. I am willing to bet the program is a windows exe file that pretends to be an anti-virus app.

In fact the application will insall malware if you download it, but luckily, as it is a windows app, it will not run anyway on OS X

In short, ignore the site and do not download any software from it

amandaxbandana
07-24-2009, 04:39 AM
So it's nothing even though a bunch of stuff showed up like it was downloaded?

and also for this website is there a way to have answers to my questions sent to my email, like alerting me?

CrimsonRequiem
07-24-2009, 05:00 AM

and also for this website is there a way to have answers to my questions sent to my email, like alerting me?

I think to do something like that you need to subscribe to the thread. That way when someone post something it will tell you.

bobtomay
07-24-2009, 07:07 AM

Re-read louishen's post, there's really nothing more to say

Profile - Edit Options - Messaging and Notification section - Default Thread Subscription Mode