• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

getting a job

Reaction score
I'm 18 years old and have recently graduated High School. The past few summers I haven't had any trouble getting a job. I knew about the whole recession, of course, but I never thought it would kill me this badly. I can't find a job for my life. I've applied to many stores around my house. I've tried to work at the places I have in previous summers. I've even been e mailing people from craigs list job listings. Nothing. Has anyone had this dilemma? Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
All I can say is, "join the club."

I've been out of work now for just over a week and have applied to dozens of places, and no calls.

Something will come up, you just have to be patient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Yup, the same goes for me here in the UK.

No jobs for me anywhere!! They say that the people that have been laid off recently are taking the jobs traditionally filled by students.

Good luck guys!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depending on what you want to do with your life, you could apply for an internship that pays...

T

todd51

I agree with Crimson. Your still pretty young and if your planning on attending college and know what you would like to get your degree in, try finding an internship that applies to what you will be studying. It will help fill out your resume when you get older!

I found a temporary position last April and was lucky enough to have it turn into full-time. However, on the side I have been fixing computers and such for my parents' friends. I have 3 computers to fix and rebuild this week! This is a nice way to earn some extra cash so you can try doing this for others around your neighborhood, if you know what your doing.

Keep searching! You may not find a job that you want, but hey...it's a job for right now and a lot of people would want it. Don't worry, something will come along eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Good luck. Just don't take a job you won't want unless you're VERY desperate for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Its a sad state of affairs. My fiancé's Dad has been out of work since Nov last year [Mech Engineer].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats how everything is going. Too bad. I'm too young to be employed :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Too young to mow the lawn, and other manual labor jobs around the neighborhood?

Seriously I wish I was 15 again, those were seriously carefree days. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

It was great, the only worry on my mind was whether to ditch a girlfriend! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Oh I'd happily do that, but nobody ever seems to need it since they hire the Mexicans.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
T

todd51

Yea your never too young to work. I cleaned our local grade school when I was younger, just helped the janitors over the summer. It was decent pay for scrubbing boogers off the underside of desks.

I honestly wish I could be 15 again and start high school over. No where near the responsibilities I have now. Although, it is nice to have a steady income and getting some real-world experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro 15 in. 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4g ram DDR3 and 320gig HDD
All I can say at this moment is to get "creative" in a sense of way that will get yourself noticed to these companies.

Ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Oh I'd happily do that, but nobody ever seems to need it since they hire the Mexicans.

They don't hire them because they're mexican. They hire them because they are willing to work for the low pay that nobody else will. I'm sure they would prefer you if you were willing to work for the same pay, especially since you could communicate better and if you do a good job.

As far as internships go, that may be difficult since people want them like any other job. How about an unpaid internship? I know it's pretty much the opposite of what you're looking for, but thinking long-term it may give you a leg-up later for a paid position. This economy isn't going to get much better within the next year and you'll be in the same spot later on. Might as well prepare now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook, 2.13 GHz, 2gb, 160gb HDD
I'm very fortunate in that the place I'm working at gave bonuses and raises despite the recession and is continuing to do so. Just hang in there and keep looking. There's something out there...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.