• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Looks like the new FCS is here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, seems that the new FCS kind of slipped in without much fanfare...

Apple - Final Cut Studio

Apple - Final Cut Studio - Whats New

Looking at the specs, seems they made some nice changes, and beginning to support BluRay in FCP7 and Compressor (although DVDStudio PRo doesn't seem to do BluRay yet).

Although appears to be nice improvements, not sure it'll be worth it for me to upgrade as I'm perfectly happy with FCS2 atm. But they have cut the price making the bundle now $999 (I wonder if that's a permanent price or a temporary price for the new release? I know it's not the upgrade price as that's listed as $299)

edit note: Heck, the academic price for it is $899, why in the world would someone buy the academic when it's only $100 less then the regular version?!?!?! not worth it like it used to be)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I too have mixed feelings about it. After two years without an update, the new features seem to fall a little short, but that's only because they're not really anything I'd use a lot. I'm at a pretty basic level where I wouldn't need more codecs or need to iChat with producers, directors, etc. The new speed change feature and the ability to continue working while exporting sound cool, but it's not quite enough to make me buy a whole new version. I just got FCS3 last summer.

My only concern is how this might affect my certification. Does anyone know if I'll have to update my Level One certification as well? I'm in the middle of studying for the Level Two certification... will this update complicate things?

The price drop is good news and I hope the next one will be even cheaper. I had no choice but to get the academic version last time and I was wondering... just what are the consequences of using the academic version commercially? What constitutes "commercial" use? How would anyone know?

I'll probably save my money for the next version, and maybe then Blu-Ray will be more pervasive and Macbook Pro's will have Blu-Ray players.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not even sure how long this version has been out. FCS2 was for sale in the apple store I know back in April (FCS2 is what has Final Cut Pro 6, so if you have FCP 6, then you have FCS2)

I do most of my heavy duty stuff on my mac pro, so it wouldn't be a huge deal to add bluray to it - but even with blu ray beginnings, most of my HD stuff is for me so I just plunk it on my mac mini that acts as a home theater. The school I work for - when I do the grad videos - they don't usually have a hd player of any sort at home so SD DVD is my primary output media when I need to output to disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
I was so happy for the tweet i got this morning about it, Since i was in the area i drooped by the apple store to pick a update up but they didn't have it yet, wont till monday. So i ordered it a few mins ago, only disappointing thing is they didn't intergrade shake in anyway, i was looking forward into that. Main reason im buying is because i know its going to be sweet along with snow leopard, and the price for upgrading isnt anything to what im use to so in my opinion im getting the bang for my buck. Producer view with ichat is sick too beats using filemail.com to send the video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Oops, yeah, I meant I have FCS2. I wish FCS3 would get a dramatic price drop like Shake did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook Pro, 2.5, 200GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB RAM- 24" iMac 2.9, 1TB HDD, 4GB, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods
So is the new version considered Final Cut Studio 3?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very good question - I haven't noticed any references to version numbers. It's definitely not FCS2, so it can't be advertised as that - otherwise those of us who own it deserve a free patch to bring us to the same level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook Pro, 2.5, 200GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB RAM- 24" iMac 2.9, 1TB HDD, 4GB, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods
I haven't seen any reference to numbers either. I just want to know what to call it. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
It is FCS 3 it says final cut studio version 3 on the serial number sticker and on the disks it self it says version 3, thats about the only evidence, very nice though i have unboxing pics on flickr and comparisons with the different New ProRes codecs, file size and data rates ..... Flickr: Grand Productions' Photostream

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.