Using Mac G5 Abroad

Reaction score
Hello there, I hope someone can help with some advice please...

I recently moved from the UK to Italy and brought my Mac G5 Power PC with me. The house I moved into (in Italy), already had fitted UK-style electrical wall sockets because the previous tenant/lanlord is British and decided it was more convenient than changing the plugs on his electrical components. (he didn't own a computer)

The electrical fitting however, like most in this part of Italy, has no earth and is for 220 volts. The technical specifications for my Mac is Output voltage range: 13 to 2 v, and output power range: up to 15 w.

I also have a big old Proview monitor which I purchased at the same time (approx) as my Mac G5 about 4 and 1/2 years ago from PC World.

I have never had any problems wth either piece of hardware ever before but as I am not too hot with electronics, I (stupidly) decided to connect everything up anyway.

Both the mac and the monitor worked fine for the first couple of days and then, suddenly, things started playing up: my system slowed right down ...almost to a standstill. I get the spinning wheel for ages every time I try and do even the simplest task like opening a window - it eventuall opens but takes minutes instead of seconds.

Naturally, I tested a few combinations and noted that the monitor's connection cable sparked a couple of times as well as feeling a small shock from the powr outlet.

All this has led me to disconnect everything completely and seek some serious advice about obtaining some kind of UK/European power convertor or adaptor - all I could find on Apple Store was stuff for Ipod or Iphone though.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help regarding this issue would be gratefully accepted as I am having to use a PC laptop running winws at the moment and it is truly awful.

Please, please, please:Grimmace:

OP
D
Reaction score
BTW, please excuse the poor spelling in my message but it is not my fault, it's this PC laptop that is so slow that it obviously cannot keep up with my average-speed and deliberate typing style

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.