• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So long Macbook Pro problems!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Because I have $2k to spend on a gaming rig and I'm going to stop playing games on my MBP.

Anyone want to help me spend money? Parts have to come from Newegg.com and it has to be able to run modern games at 2650x1600 resolution. Also, a Bluray player would be nice.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I can give you a list of a few of the parts I've been eyeing later on this evening. You can build a real nice rig for $2k. I've been trying to get it down to around $1.2k.

With the O/C people are getting on air with the Core i7 920, probably wouldn't invest above that one unless you just don't want to bother with the O/C'g side of things. As a past AMD fanboy, can't even see considering their chips at this time unless you're trying to save money on a system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Good post :)

Well, to start, at that res to have decent frame rates you are probably looking at the NVIDIA 295. I would recommend EVGA as a vendor, I use them exclusively in my gaming rigs and have never had any issues. The other approach would be to go SLI, but there are always more issues with this type of setup.

What CPU were you thinking? Corei7...AMD?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
i7 920
EVGA 295
150GB 10k RPM Velociraptor (was eyeing 80gb SSD, but pricey)
6gb RAM
got the board and stuff picked out
1k watt PS
Large open case
Pioneer Blu Ray burner.

The price on the 295 GTX is at $420 on new egg right now

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like a nice list.
I'm not going that high on the video card - probably stick to about $100-120 as I'm looking at primarily a HTPC with only the occasional game - maybe the 4850.
I'll probably get a 650W PS or less.
Pretty sure I'm gonna go micro ATX or uATX.
Seriously considering the MSI X58M. Anand's review says they pushed the 920 to a 4.2Ghz stable on air.

I just spend too darn much time lookin' fore I pull the trigger any more.

(And you may be wondering, what's the 60 yr old guy talkin' about. Just goes to show we never grow up. ;D )

edit: What I want to know, who are all these guys on the win forums talking about building a $550 "gaming" rig. Are they kidding anyone but themselves?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Honestly if your willing to spend 2K on a gaming rig I must say that SLI / Crossfire is a must. Will greatly help frame rates and overall system performance under load.

Edit: This link might help you, though this build is for 2,500 but it would help. Link
This also could be a good way to go.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Humm I hope you got a decent power supply as well.

I hang out here a lot for Over Clocking rigs.

Tom's Hardware also has some articles/guides on building a rig on a budget. Might want to check those out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I'm with CrimsonRequim here, the most important part of a decent machine is it's power supply, you do NOT want to skimp here, learned from experience, fast CPU + Fast new video card + one of them WD 10,000RPM jobbies = power requirements that need to be addressed. sure your bargain case comes with a PSU, toss it, get a Antec or a OCZ or a PC Power & Cooling....and try to go a bit overkill on the wattage....it helps....again personal experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
I personally run PC Power & Cooling's 1KW. I have to say I have never had an issue with it. Single rail is the way to go. My PS is discontinued and I believe they have quieter models now. Great company to deal with.

dit: What I want to know, who are all these guys on the win forums talking about building a $550 "gaming" rig. Are they kidding anyone but themselves?

Couldn't agree more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.