Mac Newbie Need Questions Answered

Reaction score
hi there peeps, i have just brought an 15" Macbook Pro. Not only this is my first Mac, this is my first laptop. I have always been an fan is desktops but i decided to have an change. What made made me change to mac is Windows Vista is NAFF, i have tried the new window 7 trial and that is just as worse.

So the questions i want to ask is:

1. If i leave my laptop to on charge all the time, will it damage the battery? (i.e battery life not as good, etc) or it will be OK?

2. What is better to use to back up the Mac, the Time Machine? or SuperDuper? or Both?

3. Is the the Time Machine and SuperDuper capable of backing up other external HD?

thanks for all your help

ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
1. You should always cycle the battery once a month at least. So the answer here is Yes. If you leave it plugged in for ever the battery will end up with poor charge.

2. Personal preference, i Like Time Machine because it is so easy to use and nonintrusive ...

3. Yes, you need to select it though. Not so sure about SuperDuper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Yeah, to keep the battery in shape you will have to completely drain it and charge it up again without interruption. Preferably once a month or so.

If you constantly leave the charger plugged in you may loose some of the battery capacity over time. But if you keep it in shape according to the instructions above it will last longer.

This can be applied to all laptops. Not just for the macbooks.

OP
J
Reaction score
i know in the mac information you can check the battery condition, but i want to know this there any other programs out there which also check your battery condition?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.