importing from another machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 imac OS10.10.2 + 2009 MacBook Pro OS10.10.2
I'm trying to transfer data to a new Macbook from my imac using Migration Assistant.

When I first started up the brand new macbook it asked me to input my .mac account. I have one, but I only use it for ichat, my desktop mac is under a different user name and different email account. But the macbook set itself up with my .mac account.

I then tried to transfer data from the desktop mac by wireless using the Migration Assistant, it wouldn't work, claiming there was a "Network Error" (they're both on the same wireless network). I was able to load a back-up from a separate hard disk, only problem is Migration Assistant wouldn't allow me to override the account set up on the macbook. I had to load it as a separate account.

This means I now have 2 disparate accounts on my macbook: the mac account that registered when I first started up the mac (empty), and the one that loaded from my backup, both are separate from the one on my desktop imac. What can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
have you got a firewire cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
I'd also recommend doing a FireWire transfer (which is what louishen is alluding to); cables are pretty cheap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah when I bought my 13" MBP I made sure I bought a firewire cable that goes 400 - 800 because I was going to use migration assistant this time. This was my first experience with MA, and I'm glad I used it. Connected the two Macbooks (old white) and about 4 hours later my new macbook looked EXACTLY like my old one from a user perspective. Amazing.

Then I reformatted the old machine, installed it to factory condition and sold it to my neighbor. Actually traded it for some cash and a Wii, but still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I'm trying to transfer data to a new Macbook from my imac using Migration Assistant.

When I first started up the brand new macbook it asked me to input my .mac account. I have one, but I only use it for ichat, my desktop mac is under a different user name and different email account. But the macbook set itself up with my .mac account.

I then tried to transfer data from the desktop mac by wireless using the Migration Assistant, it wouldn't work, claiming there was a "Network Error" (they're both on the same wireless network). I was able to load a back-up from a separate hard disk, only problem is Migration Assistant wouldn't allow me to override the account set up on the macbook. I had to load it as a separate account.

This means I now have 2 disparate accounts on my macbook: the mac account that registered when I first started up the mac (empty), and the one that loaded from my backup, both are separate from the one on my desktop imac. What can I do?
My experience with MA is that it is not essential to enter the dot mac account details and in your case it may have set up the issue u are having. Perhaps the best deal now is to start again with a clean install on the MacBookP and use firewire and start iMac in Target mode -holding T key after powering on - which will set up Macbook identically to the iMac

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone
No, as you might have guessed, I don't have a firewire cable, which is why I tried doing the mac-to-mac thing by wireless. The back-up HD is connected by a usb cable.
I have 2 problems here: first is getting my imac data and user id to transfer smoothly to the new machine, I'll buy a firewire cable as you suggest and hope that sorts it out.

2nd problem is getting rid of all these unwanted extra accounts. How do I reformat the macbook back to as it came from the box?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Collin BI, just what I need to hear.
How do I do a clean re-install? (I know, dumb question, but I've never had to to this before)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
scrub last post - I figured it out.
Thank you everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.